Multi-Bingo Information
Add Reply
Nicholas Baldridge
2016-07-07 15:24:42 UTC
Hey everyone, I've been working for the past several months to reproduce many bingo games in a single cabinet with swappable playfields.

The idea is that a computer will read and control all the switches, coils, motors, etc, but your gameplay is pure EM bingo goodness.

Here are a few videos, for those that might be interested in seeing the concept:

- Dynamic Score/instruction card demonstration

- Basic concept

- Startup sequence and ball 1 to tilt.

- Menu demo

- Full game of Broadway '51 with 3/4 in a row - end of video I'm knocking off credits.

Pardon the poor video quality - I'm filming on a cell phone, doing what I can. :-)

I have 13 games currently implemented, and will be adding more and more over time.

It's been a really large and interesting project - my randomization functions take into account physical positioning of mixer and reflex units, etc.
Seeing the difference between United and Bally reflex implementations has also been very interesting!
Pinball Muggle
2016-07-09 13:40:33 UTC
Been invited to give this a try today ...

Now that I think of it ... This might be the first "NEW" bingo pinball table made in America for many many years..

Report pending.
Nicholas Baldridge
2016-07-10 02:36:25 UTC
More videos (sorry again for the quality):

Bright Lights

Coney Island (with Extra Ball)
Pinball Muggle
2016-07-10 18:10:55 UTC
Titled my first game - and hit on the second. Played Bright Lights and Broadway. A couple of bugs popped up - no payout on a couple hits and some minor hiccups but it was really very very good overall. Looking forward to Nick adding games with features and trying it again. (that project is a LOT of work... a whole lot)
Nicholas Baldridge
2016-07-11 18:33:17 UTC
I've got another 11 on there now. C'mon back! I think I've fixed the payout issue you ran into on Bright Lights.

This set of games includes:

Bright Lights
Broadway ('51)
Coney Island
Palm Beach
Spot-Lite
Atlantic City
Lotta Fun
Fun Way
Barrel 'O Fun '61

Stars
Circus
Leader
Zingo

I'm working on Stock Market now, and once the randomization routine is written, this opens the door for all the 1970's six card games. I'm toying with the idea of implementing the 'knock-off' Single Coin games as well. Why not?

One thing to note, if I didn't before: I am attempting to map out my randomization routines to work as close to the real hardware randomization as possible. Pretty neat!
Nicholas Baldridge
2016-07-27 17:23:45 UTC
More games added to the list -
Post by Nicholas Baldridge
Bright Lights
Broadway ('51)
Coney Island
Palm Beach
Spot-Lite
Atlantic City
Lotta Fun
Fun Way
Barrel 'O Fun '61
Barrel 'O Fun
Stock Market
Ticker Tape
Post by Nicholas Baldridge
Stars
Circus
Leader
Zingo
Nicholas Baldridge
2016-08-10 18:18:29 UTC
This is coming along quite nicely and will be shown publicly at York this year (2016) in the 2nd annual (thus far) bingo row!

I'm excited to show it off, especially now that I've added even more polish.

I've completely rewritten the lifter and shutter routines, finished the ranomization for double-or-nothing (which, from the factory, was pretty generous)... and added sounds and even flashing lights (455 emulation).

It's pretty cool, if I do say so myself.

I'm beginning work on the remaining small tasks (porting sounds to all the games, some wiring niceties, etc.) before the show.

In the interim, I'll be working on the stencil design. What I've been asked to do is very ambitious indeed! We'll see if I can do it.

This has by far been the most satisfying pinball project I've ever done. Lots of fun! So much so that I even have a second project lined up after this one...
Nicholas Baldridge
2016-09-14 14:38:11 UTC
Post by Nicholas Baldridge
This is coming along quite nicely and will be shown publicly at York this year (2016) in the 2nd annual (thus far) bingo row!
Reminder that I'll be bringing the game to York at the end of the month - with the additional time, I've added a total of 40 games.

The games are from 1951-1981, and are a nice mix of single, six, and three card games - all 25 hole.

Here's the current menu as of 9/12.

Nicholas Baldridge
2016-12-15 14:44:15 UTC
Still working away - York was fantastic. Up to 84 games. There are 105 games that use the standard 25 hole playfield, so I'll keep working till those are all complete. At the rate I'm going, should be a month or two.

Then, it's cabinet stencil and backglass, followed by the alternate playfields.
Robert
2016-12-18 15:05:23 UTC
Ummmmm... you're forgetting a step before cabinet stencil and backglass -- Multi-bingo for Medl!
Nicholas Baldridge
2016-12-18 16:54:32 UTC
Haha, noooooo! ;-)

Down to 15 left.
B***@aol.com
2016-12-24 21:13:52 UTC
http://youtu.be/J0PeaD3p5zA - Dynamic Score/instruction card demonstration
http://youtu.be/S-YrfdfPgD4 - Basic concept
http://youtu.be/X4N2DBzgmoI - Startup sequence and ball 1 to tilt.
http://youtu.be/ZsDWGcRglAg - Menu demo
http://youtu.be/MdPkWOZYeTA - Full game of Broadway '51 with 3/4 in a row - end of video I'm knocking off credits.
played it at York great job
Nicholas Baldridge
2016-12-24 23:45:57 UTC
Thank you! It'll be even better this year. Minimum of 105 games playable and I hope to have the cabinet stencil complete.
Nicholas Baldridge
2016-12-29 19:51:38 UTC
I think I'll probably make that goal - I have 100 games done as of now and the artwork completed for the remaining games. Just have to decode schematics and re-code in Python. :-)
Pinball Muggle
2016-12-30 12:36:04 UTC
If you like, you/we can bring it here for the stencil/painting phase - thinking you'd have a bit more elbow room in the Manshop.
Nicholas Baldridge
2016-12-30 21:32:05 UTC
Post by Pinball Muggle
Post by Nicholas Baldridge
Thank you! It'll be even better this year. Minimum of 105 games playable and I hope to have the cabinet stencil complete.
If you like, you/we can bring it here for the stencil/painting phase - thinking you'd have a bit more elbow room in the Manshop.
Thanks for the offer man! I'll figure something out. Don't worry - I'll probably bother you a ton.

I've still got to build that drawer and playfield holder boxes.
Pinball Muggle
2016-12-30 23:31:56 UTC
Post by Nicholas Baldridge
I've still got to build that drawer and playfield holder boxes.
one thing at time there fella..

I should be available in two more weekends. Drawer first ??
Nicholas Baldridge
2016-12-31 00:37:55 UTC
Yep, sounds great. Shoot me a message when you're free. Merry New Year, by the way. :-)
Nicholas Baldridge
2017-04-17 17:36:21 UTC
Up to 109 (out of 133) games implemented across three playfields, cabinet stencil complete and sprayed (left side is a modified United Circus, right is a modified Bally Beach Club, and front is a modified United Nevada).

Muggle also taught me how to make a button drawer, including wooden mounts for switch stack brackets and junk lockbars pre-milled to hold buttons.

Now I have to mill some aluminium brackets to cover the button holes, and a bottom bracket for each pair of buttons.

Also high on the cosmetic list is what to do about the backglass - I've researched custom size screens, and no one I've talked to will consider a custom screen size - only custom bezel sizes. This means I'm kind of locked into a 32" screen, which is OK as I can easily replace if the current screen dies.

Aside from that, I have more and more wiring to do - I want to wire up my ancillary playfields so that I can test things like Magic Pockets or 20 hole games.

Everything just takes time, but I feel like I've made a lot of progress. :-)
Frank Furhter
2017-04-18 03:32:17 UTC
Post by Nicholas Baldridge
[...]
Truly an amazing thing you do, for the obscure and forgotten and never
to be appreciated. Well done, keep on keepin' on.
--
The Frankster, a playfield prankster
Once upon my crank her ballpark shrank.
Rule #1 of RGP, there are no rules or rulers.
Frank Furhter
2016-12-25 07:07:56 UTC
Post by B***@aol.com
Post by Nicholas Baldridge
[...]
Congrats, you have put yourself into the top 10 most boring things to
watch in the world of pinball. That is an accomplishment, since there
are many boring things to watch which folks believe are of value when
they are not. Bingo, yes, is not only one of them, but many of the top
10 boring things to watch. Sadly an execution would be more interesting.
Don O Team EM!
2017-04-19 17:30:44 UTC
Truly an amazing job from what I experienced at the last show Nicholas brought the game to... very impressive work!
Nicholas Baldridge
2017-04-19 19:18:24 UTC
Thanks Don! Looking forward to your updated impressions at the next York show. September will be here before we know it.
Nicholas Baldridge
2017-08-21 19:31:12 UTC
Post by Nicholas Baldridge
Post by Don O Team EM!
Truly an amazing job from what I experienced at the last show Nicholas brought the game to... very impressive work!
Thanks Don! Looking forward to your updated impressions at the next York show. September will be here before we know it.
September is coming soon... grand total so far is 138 - that is every game that was manufactured in the US by Williams, Bally, Keeney and United. There are only a handful of knock-off games that are not yet implemented, and I've been on the fence about implementing.

I have also recently revealed the backglass. A hand-drawn surround that is a throw-back to Bally's Circus Queen, but with colors to match the cabinet paint.

Right now, I'm doing an overhaul/bug sweep thing.

Lots of nice cosmetic touches - I'm looking forward to the end of September!
Frank Furhter
2017-08-29 04:32:47 UTC
Post by Nicholas Baldridge
Post by Nicholas Baldridge
Post by Don O Team EM!
Truly an amazing job from what I experienced at the last show Nicholas brought the game to... very impressive work!
Thanks Don! Looking forward to your updated impressions at the next York show. September will be here before we know it.
September is coming soon... grand total so far is 138 - that is every game that was manufactured in the US by Williams, Bally, Keeney and United. There are only a handful of knock-off games that are not yet implemented, and I've been on the fence about implementing.
Do the job right, and complete, implement them. You will regret it if
you don't... Someone will come along and steal your thunder, and you'll
be known as the bingo digital guy that didn't do the job and complete it.
Post by Nicholas Baldridge
I have also recently revealed the backglass. A hand-drawn surround that is a throw-back to Bally's Circus Queen, but with colors to match the cabinet paint.
Right now, I'm doing an overhaul/bug sweep thing.
Lots of nice cosmetic touches - I'm looking forward to the end of September!
Many are looking to the end of this project, and say goodbye to Bingo
both in real terms and in digital terms.
Nicholas Baldridge
2017-08-29 13:52:25 UTC
Post by Frank Furhter
Do the job right, and complete, implement them. You will regret it if
you don't...
All in time. I don't care if someone steals my thunder - code is open source and freely available for just that purpose. It's not stealing if you give it away. In fact, these knock off games will all use existing code from other games already implemented - just different backglass art. Almost all of the knock offs remaining are 'single coin' games with different artwork screened. I have one 'single coin' game in there already. Those games are just Lotta Funs with a different backglass. Nothing earth-shattering. I've found 4 of them, and one Having Fun, which is a Broadway '51 with the scoring from Lotta Fun.

The Single coins left to implement can be based off of single_coin_pittsburgh and the Having Fun should use the search routine from broadway_51 with the scoring from Lotta Fun. The hard part is the graphics positioning, but it's just coordinate based stuff and getting relatively pleasing incandescent emulation.

I normally don't respond to your barbs, 'cause you can't please everyone - but thought I'd take the opportunity to put out more info.

I last did a sync with the public repo after finishing game #138, will sync again after York with all the bugfixes and other fancy extras (like conditional drawer controls).
Post by Frank Furhter
Many are looking to the end of this project, and say goodbye to Bingo
both in real terms and in digital terms.
Ha! Well, as long as I'm hauling them around to shows, you probably won't see the last of them, and I'm relatively young. Plus I'll start making my own new games in the style of 1950s and early 60s games. It's great to be able to see the evolution of gameplay and features all in one machine, and I think will serve as a great way to introduce these games to folks at shows.

We'll see.
Frank Furhter
2017-08-30 00:07:18 UTC
Post by Nicholas Baldridge
Ha! Well, as long as I'm hauling them around to shows, you probably won't see the last of them, and I'm relatively young. Plus I'll start making my own new games in the style of 1950s and early 60s games. It's great to be able to see the evolution of gameplay and features all in one machine, and I think will serve as a great way to introduce these games to folks at shows.
There is a limit to the attention span of the new generation, and that
mostly to do with trained interest in violence, having sex with droids,
and mostly to do without knowing or caring about cause and effect.

If you can make games that appeal to this segment (its large, think 6-28
year old demographics due to our inability to get the frontal lobe to
develop 'properly') you will make a killing. Otherwise, a niche market
where you will be king fish in a very small pond.
B***@aol.com
2017-08-29 14:49:18 UTC
Post by Nicholas Baldridge
Hey everyone, I've been working for the past several months to reproduce many bingo games in a single cabinet with swappable playfields.
The idea is that a computer will read and control all the switches, coils, motors, etc, but your gameplay is pure EM bingo goodness.
http://youtu.be/J0PeaD3p5zA - Dynamic Score/instruction card demonstration
being a bingo lover , I played it in York last show such a great game, can't wait to see it now