Tech: S&S Bally -17 or -35
LexingtonVAPin
2017-04-17 15:22:25 UTC
I am having an issue with the game memory on a S&S. I recently
converted to a cap memory backup and have done this for several other
Bally pins successfully.

The odd thing is that the number of credit games is saved properly from
use to use. But sometimes the other information is scrambled, such as
points for an extra ball and all the audit information.

I like to setup levels for an extra ball, so having random values appear
is a problem.

Any ideas?

I am not sure if I have a -17 or -35 in there, but I am expecting that
this will be a RAM issue at U7 or U8, likely the socket. Which one of
these holds the audit info and which one would have the number of credit
games stored? I was thinking of re-seating them and hoping it goes
away, but thought I would ask first.
http://orcalcoast.com/
homebrood
2017-04-17 15:53:27 UTC
Post by LexingtonVAPin
[...]
Do a total memory clear, go into the audits, clear each one individually by pushing the reset button on the MPU board to zero each one out. Turn the game off and on again, then go in and reset you values as you would normally and you should stop seeing the scrambled info problem.

Tom
homebrood
Junk in the memory will cause this, you have Junk in the Trunk! :)
LexingtonVAPin
2017-04-17 16:06:55 UTC
Post by homebrood
Post by LexingtonVAPin
[...]
Thanks.

I did that when the issue first started in order to get rid of the
random numbers, but will try it again.
http://orcalcoast.com/
homebrood
Ok so you knew about that. Yes then it could be something else but I know I've had it work only if I did all of them and turned the game off and on. Can be tricky but it could also be a chip or the chip doesn't like the power from the cap. I have a bally with a cap installed and it keeps the mem for a long long time and works fine. I have heard that some mem chips use more juice than others and don't do well with caps.
LexingtonVAPin
2017-04-22 15:03:09 UTC
Post by homebrood
Post by LexingtonVAPin
[...]
I am going to award Tom a gold star. 5 days later and it is still
holding. Despite that I tried this before, it seems to be working this
time. Perhaps I missed one last time? Whatever, thanks Tom.

Larry
LexingtonVAPin
2017-05-10 21:58:11 UTC
Post by LexingtonVAPin
Post by homebrood
Post by LexingtonVAPin
[...]
It's Back!

After sitting for a week, the first extra ball setting, which was 250k,
became 10k, the default.

The 500k level became 500,080. Really?

All other values / audits seem to be OK, except perhaps the number of
games played seems high considering they were all reset a month ago.

If this were a low voltage problem for the RAM, wouldn't more values be
scrambled?
http://orcalcoast.com/
richard.m
2017-05-11 01:39:58 UTC
Post by homebrood
Do a total memory clear, go into the audits, clear each one individually by pushing the reset button on the MPU board to zero each one out. Turn the game off and on again, then go in and reset you values as you would normally and you should stop seeing the scrambled info problem.
Tom
Spot on, for example on any Kiss game, if you either replace the 5101 or power is cut from the 5101 for some reason, every time from the first game & onward with player 4 only, either A,B,C or D or any combination of these will come on already & won't go out when you complete the sequence as it should. You need to clear each one as explained to fix this.

Another (unrelated) quirk with Kiss is, with a 4 player 5 ball game, when the last ball on player 4 drains, end of game, if either A,B,C, or D is lit, when you start the next 4 player game, player 4 ball 1 will have the same letter(s) lit. You have to turn the game off to reset.
seymour.shabow
2017-05-11 04:47:26 UTC
Post by richard.m
Post by homebrood
[...]
That sounds like a bug worth fixing. Can you test a fix for it? (Once
it's written!)
LexingtonVAPin
2017-05-11 19:07:11 UTC
Post by richard.m
Post by homebrood
[...]
The problem is that I did a total memory clear, twice. After the
second time, it took longer to reoccur, but it still scrambled.
http://orcalcoast.com/
Eric Neff
http://orcalcoast.com/
LexingtonVAPin
An answer to a question not asked....
John Robertson
2017-04-17 18:25:52 UTC
Post by LexingtonVAPin
[...]
You did say you didn't know if you had a -17 or -35 board. Eric was
trying to be helpful.

U8 is the battery backup IC (5101 or equiv). The 6810 is temporary
memory that vanishes when the power is turned off.

It is unlikely to be a socket issue as all the data would have issues -
nothing would be correct. Also the CPU would stop during the self test
if it can't read/write a valid number during the self test.

John
www.flippers.com
LexingtonVAPin
2017-04-20 01:02:31 UTC
Post by John Robertson
Post by LexingtonVAPin
[...]
Yes, in reading my note, I did say I don't know which one is in there -
but I did not ask for help with that. I should have cut him a break.

The question is what is causing the values to scramble.

Thanks for the clarification on the rolls of the 5101 and 6810.

I also would have expected far more problems with the pin if it were a
RAM issue which is why I flummoxed.

I reset the data in there and am waiting to see if it crops up again.
http://orcalcoast.com/
barakandl
2017-04-18 02:55:11 UTC
Post by LexingtonVAPin
[...]
What value is your super cap? What brand is your 5101 RAM (AMI is known to be power hogs). Did you do anything to the charge limit resistor? Have you checked the voltage of the super cap over time(most 5101 start to scramble around 1v).

nvram.... =P
homebrood
2017-04-18 13:22:07 UTC
Post by barakandl
Post by LexingtonVAPin
[...]
Stay Tuned, These questions, as well as many others, will all be answered on the next episode of

"This Old Board!"

:)
LexingtonVAPin
2017-04-20 01:15:43 UTC
Post by barakandl
Post by LexingtonVAPin
[...]
All good questions. I do not have the answer to all of them.

I am using the same GPE cap that I have used in several pins. CERS-1.5F-5V

I did not change the charge limit resistor and have never had to.
Should I?
I was wondering if it was on often enough / long enough to charge the
cap, so I have been turning it on to fully charge it. The problem
occurred this second time.

I had another Bally pin that kept the memory intact even though it was
in storage for over 6 months. I realize the mileage may vary.

I will look at the 5101 RAM next time I get the backglass out. If the
problem comes up again, thanks for the suggestion to monitor the
voltage. And that the AMI is a power hog.

At this point, I am hoping that homebrood's / Tom's suggestion to clear
the settings - which I had done before - will do the trick the second time.
http://orcalcoast.com/
barakandl
2017-04-20 11:57:26 UTC
Post by LexingtonVAPin
Post by barakandl
Post by LexingtonVAPin
[...]
if the super cap hits 1v or so, the 5101 will scramble. Check pin 22 of the ram after some time of the power being off. You should get slow drop from 5v to 1v over like a months time.

Certain 5101s consume way more standby current than others (ami)
homebrood
2017-04-20 14:00:24 UTC
Post by barakandl
Post by LexingtonVAPin
Post by barakandl
Post by LexingtonVAPin
[...]
And as far as charging the cap don't they charge in a matter of a few seconds? Not like a battery charging... I have a silverball mania with a cap that I have let sit for at least a year without even powring up and it still held the mem... maybe a bad cap? Or the ram socket maybe suspect causing resistance or something?

Tom
John in WI
2017-04-20 18:10:25 UTC
Are you sure that's a cap, and not a lithium battery?

Not trying to be a wise guy but I made the assumption a game I bought had a cap (well, it looked like an axial lead cap), but it was a lithium battery that was soldered in.
John in WI
2017-04-20 18:12:00 UTC
A dead giveaway would be to check if R12 has been replaced by a diode. If so, not a cap...
LexingtonVAPin
2017-04-20 19:12:21 UTC
Post by John in WI
Post by John in WI
Are you sure that's a cap, and not a lithium battery?
Not trying to be a wise guy but I made the assumption a game I bought had a cap (well, it looked like an axial lead cap), but it was a lithium battery that was soldered in.
A dead giveaway would be to check if R12 has been replaced by a diode. If so, not a cap...
If you are asking the OP, then I installed the following from GPE:

CERS-1.5F-5V

That is a 1.5 farad 5 V electrolytic cap.
http://orcalcoast.com/
LexingtonVAPin
2017-08-11 16:44:13 UTC
Post by LexingtonVAPin
I am having an issue with the game memory on a S&S. I recently
converted to a cap memory backup and have done this for several other
Bally pins successfully.
The odd thing is that the number of credit games is saved properly from
use to use. But sometimes the other information is scrambled, such as
points for an extra ball and all the audit information.
I like to setup levels for an extra ball, so having random values appear
is a problem.
Any ideas?
I am not sure if I have a -17 or -35 in there, but I am expecting that
this will be a RAM issue at U7 or U8, likely the socket. Which one of
these holds the audit info and which one would have the number of credit
games stored? I was thinking of re-seating them and hoping it goes
away, but thought I would ask first.
Just for documentation:

This problem kept reoccurring. It turned out to be a problem with the
5101 RAM. I put a different one in - same manufacturer - and the
problem went away.
http://orcalcoast.com/
homebrood
Glad you figured it out, thanks for the gold star, even though the problem came back and was the chip, there's no way I'm giving back that gold star!!! :)
LexingtonVAPin
2017-08-18 17:53:45 UTC
Post by homebrood
Post by LexingtonVAPin
Post by LexingtonVAPin
[...]
I will let you keep the gold star, although it might be a bit tarnished.
:-) Wear it with pride....

Thanks Tom.
--
http://orcalcoast.com/