TECH: TAF weak flippers
yossarian
2017-03-24 22:12:57 UTC
I am having weak flipper problems -- but only when the magnets are on.

Over time, I have swapped out and/or rebuilt Power Driver Board, Fliptronics board, Extra Flipper Supply Board, flipper solenoids, EOS switches and flipper switches. Nothing has fixed the issue. Consequently, I believe that the problem lies outside of the flipper circuitry. But it doesn't appear to be a bad connection or wiring.

It is as if the game isn't pulling enough power when the magnets are on at the same time as flipper solenoids. Or the CPU is triggering EOS when it shouldn't be (disconnecting the physical EOS switches doesn't change anything - I tried).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob
John Robertson
2017-03-24 22:31:19 UTC
Post by yossarian
I am having weak flipper problems -- but only when the magnets are on.
Over time, I have swapped out and/or rebuilt Power Driver Board, Fliptronics board, Extra Flipper Supply Board, flipper solenoids, EOS switches and flipper switches. Nothing has fixed the issue. Consequently, I believe that the problem lies outside of the flipper circuitry. But it doesn't appear to be a bad connection or wiring.
It is as if the game isn't pulling enough power when the magnets are on at the same time as flipper solenoids. Or the CPU is triggering EOS when it shouldn't be (disconnecting the physical EOS switches doesn't change anything - I tried).
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Bob
Power connectors that are shared by the magnets and flippers would be my
first suspects. Pull out the schematics and see if the magnets and
flippers are sourced by the same B+. If they are then inspect the
connections, feel if they are warmer than others, are they a liitle
sloppy in their fit?

Fuse holder clips may be decompressed a bit. Also see if the fuse caps
are polished or grungy. Obviousll polished is best, but the fuse clips
also have to be perfect!

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com
p***@hotmail.com
2017-03-25 00:17:43 UTC
If you haven't already, check your wall voltage. A Kill a Watt would let you see if the wall voltage is dropping when the magnets fire. I'd also check the resistance on each of the magnet coils. I believe they should be under 10 ohms resistance. If they're all the same part number, their resistances should be close.

-phish
The_Black_Knight
2017-03-25 01:06:19 UTC
You want to test the magnet board traces and connectors as well under the playfield. If traces are carameled or cracked, you can "bleed" voltage, not to mention if the transistors are out of specification. The game is getting quite old.