Replacement Pinball Dolly Shock
mikeo
2005-06-28 23:29:50 UTC
I came across the part number for the shock I used to replace the old
hydraulic cylinder on my early generation Wico pinball dolly the other
day. I don't know if this is the exact number you order this by but
here it is. I basically matched the shock on a Penguin cart.

It is a Gabriel Red Ryder shock number 81091. I got mine at the local
AutoZone for right at $10. I believe this is the exact part on the
Penguin dolly. I, obviously, had to weld new mounts on my old Wico for
it to work, but work it does, and very well at that.

Mike O.
mikeo
2005-06-29 20:02:08 UTC
bump
PinballGuy
2013-10-12 18:16:34 UTC
Posting for Posterity

Thanks to Mike O. for his pics, helped me get my cart converted!!

Mine may have been an earlier model since his mounting points were
little different

The shock I used was a Red Ryder 81091. I'm sure there are bette
applications, I don't have access to the sort the myriad of shoc
absorber specifications. A nice direct replacement would have bee
sweet, however, getting a chance to practice my welding and fabricatio
skills is also a bonus

For the upper mount, I used the stock cross member that was on my car
and was able to grind off the welds for the brackets. From there,
opened the holes to 3/8". and welded them back on 7/8" off th
centerline of the bracket.
NOTE: There wasn't enough clearance when reusing my stock brackets, so
ended up having to use a smaller bolt for the upper mount

For the lower mount, I make a new cross member from 1x1x 1/8 angle iro
from Home Depot and made the brackets from old bent pinball legs. Cu
the bottoms off about 2", and drilled out the threads with a 3/8" drill
Welded them back on and I think they were 7/8" off the centerline a
well, but don't quote me on it. I knocked off the corners to clean it u
a bit

Welded the new cross member and brackets 5 1/4" from the rear fram
(heel to heel)

The sleeve for the lower mount, I grinded off the faceplate of (I think
a Gottlieb plunger plate. Perfect diameter inner and outer, and lengh
was right on too

Note: There is some dampening on the upstroke, so be aware

All that is left is a little paint to spruce it up!!

Thanks again Mike!!

Filename:-----------> PinballCart.jpg
Link to attached PIC: http://rgparchive.com/rgpforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=222

--
PinballGu
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.co
c***@provide.net
2013-10-12 21:45:59 UTC
Post by mikeo
I came across the part number for the shock I used to replace the old
hydraulic cylinder on my early generation Wico pinball dolly the other
day. I don't know if this is the exact number you order this by but
here it is. I basically matched the shock on a Penguin cart.
It is a Gabriel Red Ryder shock number 81091. I got mine at the local
AutoZone for right at $10. I believe this is the exact part on the
Penguin dolly. I, obviously, had to weld new mounts on my old Wico for
it to work, but work it does, and very well at that.
Mike O.
I posted this to another thread a few years ago...

To elaborate more, the Penguin cart uses
the Gabriel shock (thought it's labeled as a
Gabriel Red Ryder). It's actually a Gabriel Guardian
shock (their lowest line) for a 1989 Dodge D100
rear shock (and some other Dodge models like
the 1993 Dodge D250 rear shock). The
Gabriel part number is indeed 81091.
Price at the Auto Zone was $13.99.

The good thing about this shock is it has
a natural tendency to expand to full length,
which makes raising the cart easier.
I wish it would work in the Wico cart, but it
won't. In a Wico cart you need the exact
same type of shock, but from eye-to-eye it
must go from 14.5" to 23". The Gabriel is
long enough, but not short enough (when
fully compressed).

Note I am also modifying my Wico carts
so they go down to 20" (from their
stock low height of 20.5"). This allows
them to go under a WPC game. The good
thing about the Wico carts is they go
higher than a Penguin cart (20" to
27.5" high). This allows the Wico cart
(after modification) to be used on WPC
games to Woodrails. A penguin cart
won't work on Woodrails or Wedgeheads
without putting 2x4's under the game
(because the Penguin doesn't go up
high enough).

So I'm back to the Nappa auto parts
store to get a GM steering stablilizer.
part number SC2913, about $30. More
expensive than the Red Ryder but it
pretty much bolts right into an old wico
pinball cart.
Lost8ball
Hmmmm...I have 2 wedgeheads and the Penguin works fine on them. Either I don't have stock legs on the wedgeheads or the model Penguin I have is different.
c***@provide.net
2013-10-15 21:49:52 UTC
Post by Lost8ball
Hmmmm...I have 2 wedgeheads and the Penguin works fine on them. Either I don't
have stock legs on the wedgeheads or the model Penguin I have is different.
if they are columbia pictures era wedgeheads then you are
correct. if they are 1960s wedgeheads then no penguin doesn't
really work.
hoov
2013-10-15 15:27:39 UTC
So I'm back to the Nappa auto parts
store to get a GM steering stablilizer.
part number SC2913, about $30. More
expensive than the Red Ryder but it
pretty much bolts right into an old wico
pinball cart.

Thanks for the info Clay. Going to NAPA today..........

--
hoo
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.co
c***@team-em.com
2013-10-16 03:16:47 UTC
Clay,
How are you shortening the cart by 1/2 inch?
Don't you have to cut the vertical structure then re-weld it?
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info
Mike O
2013-10-16 14:54:13 UTC
Clay,

Not sure why you are saying the Gabriel shock can't work in the Wico cart. I have it in mine and Tom just confirmed it worked in his. If you are saying it can't work in the existing mounting points that is correct.

What it took was to move the lower mount forward so the longer compressed length of the Gabriel shock is accommodated. The clips that connect the shock are different, from the original strut, and also need to be updated.

This is a modification that requires welding skills because you have to modify some of the original framing and clips.

I'm very pleased with my modified cart.

Mike O.
Team-EM
Frank Furhter
2013-10-16 17:01:56 UTC
Post by Mike O
Clay,
Not sure why you are saying the Gabriel shock can't work in the Wico cart. I have it in mine and Tom just confirmed it worked in his. If you are saying it can't work in the existing mounting points that is correct.
What it took was to move the lower mount forward so the longer compressed length of the Gabriel shock is accommodated. The clips that connect the shock are different, from the original strut, and also need to be updated.
This is a modification that requires welding skills because you have to modify some of the original framing and clips.
I'm very pleased with my modified cart.
Mike O.
Team-EM
Shocking news!
--
The Frankster, a playfield prankster
Once upon my crank her ballpark shrank.
Dangling Team-EM Member (debauchery go-go gadget)
gary stuart
2013-10-16 04:00:22 UTC
Post by mikeo
I came across the part number for the shock I used to replace the old
hydraulic cylinder on my early generation Wico pinball dolly the other
day. I don't know if this is the exact number you order this by but
here it is. I basically matched the shock on a Penguin cart.
It is a Gabriel Red Ryder shock number 81091. I got mine at the local
AutoZone for right at $10. I believe this is the exact part on the
Penguin dolly. I, obviously, had to weld new mounts on my old Wico for
it to work, but work it does, and very well at that.
Mike O.you cam also use a 32128 monroe