What can Stern do to save their Pinball company?
HansFrans
2008-12-04 21:13:44 UTC
What does Stern need change in order to save their company from going
under?

All ideas and suggestions are welcome.
Joe Grenuk
2008-12-04 21:16:45 UTC
Selling more games at a higher margin would be excellent.

Having said that, that question is best asked of the guy that owns the
company. It's his business, and nobody can run it like we can.
r***@cinci.rr.com
2008-12-04 21:18:42 UTC
Post by HansFrans
What does Stern need change in order to save their company from going
under?
All ideas and suggestions are welcome.
People need to support the operators. The operators buy most of the
new machines, here and overseas. If you don't go out and pay to play
there machines they won't stay in business. The HUO market is a very
small part of Stern Pinball. Face it the world economy is in real bad
shape and I'm not sure there is anything that can be done now.

Rob H
John Bigbooty
2008-12-05 18:12:05 UTC
Post by r***@cinci.rr.com
Post by HansFrans
What does Stern need change in order to save their company from going
under?
All ideas and suggestions are welcome.
People need to support the operators. The operators buy most of the
new machines, here and overseas. If you don't go out and pay to play
there machines they won't stay in business. The HUO market is a very
small part of Stern Pinball. Face it the world economy is in real bad
shape and I'm not sure there is anything that can be done now.
Rob H
I can't support the operators if I can't find them. I live in a large
city, Atlanta, and pins are almost non-existent. It annoys the hell
out of me that the large local arcade names itself "Flippers" but has
ZERO pinballs.

Mark
Atlanta GA
Bryan Kelly
2008-12-04 21:19:38 UTC
Dude, I'm sorry, but this horse is dead!!!!

Bryan (CARGPB 14)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins
Home of the EXECUTIVE Pin Footie http://www.pinfooties.com
HansFrans
2008-12-04 21:39:59 UTC
Post by HansFrans
What does Stern need change in order to save their company from going
under?
All ideas and suggestions are welcome.- Hide quoted text -
The horse is not dead its still in the stables, but soon it will be
dead if things don't change. The more brain storming and suggestions
to help solve the problem the better. Think of your self as an outside
consultant. What would you do differantly.

For me I would go back to producing 2 or 3 finished titles a year. I
would go for the Sponge BOB, Scobby Doo or Peanuts license that
appeals to young kids as well as Adults with money. I would support
the operators and try to improve upon technology and I would add more
smaller distributors and try to penetrate the home market. I would not
come out with 24.

1. CSI Sorry Crime themes are not what parents want their children to
watch or play!
2. WOF, Appeals to people that are still watching the show. 70+.
3. Indiana jones, Well that is a rehash of Frankenstein, GnR,
Spiderman, and Harley Davidson. No thought process involved on this
pin. Yes they did put those parts into the protoype
4. Dark Knight, Rehash of LOTR, Spiderman. and nice coffee can.

Don't get me wrong. Stern has made some kickass machines and they are
in my basement, runs on those machine where 3000+

1. Spiderman
2. Shrek,
3. LOTR
4. TSPP
goatdan
2008-12-04 23:03:57 UTC
Post by HansFrans
1. CSI Sorry Crime themes are not what parents want their children to
watch or play!
Pinball is not just for kids! The huge success of the South Park pin
(that helped to doom Pin2000) is a *perfect* example of a pin that
adults probably wouldn't want young kids playing.

Also, I don't know one person under the age of 13 that understands
much about pinball beyond flashing lights. It is those who get older
and understand the rules that stick with it.
HansFrans
2008-12-04 23:26:00 UTC
Post by HansFrans
1. CSI Sorry Crime themes are not what parents want their children to
watch or play!
Pinball is not just for kids!  The huge success of the South Park pin
(that helped to doom Pin2000) is a *perfect* example of a pin that
adults probably wouldn't want young kids playing.
Also, I don't know one person under the age of 13 that understands
much about pinball beyond flashing lights.  It is those who get older
and understand the rules that stick with it.
Goatdan,

Love ya man but,I have to disagree on kids under the age of 13 don't
know anything more than flashing lights. I have a three year old
daughter who can catch the ball with the flipper, time the ball and
hit it with the flipper with out whaling away at the flipper buttons,.
she knows how to get Donkey pinball. She begs me to play pinball with
her everyday

My 10 daughter year old knows the complete ruleset to Shrek and loves
Spiderman.

I played in a tournament last week and a youg bou at the age of ten
got 4th place out of 25 adults. This kid's dad is very well know in
the parts community.

Plus these kids under 13 can probably kick my ass on any hard core
console game!
goatdan
2008-12-05 05:24:01 UTC
Post by HansFrans
Post by HansFrans
[...]
I'll admit, I regretted the age that I put down as 13 shortly after
putting it down. For the most part though, unless the kid is exposed
to a place to play before the age of say 10 they aren't interested.

Case in point -- this summer, I may my cousin come over almost every
day for two weeks straight. I think he's 14. When he first started
playing the games, it was because we basically forced him to in a
little friendly competition and he wanted to practice a bit to get
better. So, he asked me some stuff, and I gave him a quick overview
of some of the rules. He played a few times and declared that it was
too tough. This was probably day 3 of the 14 days he visited.

By day 12, he had fallen in love with the game and had asked his dad
if he could put a Whirlwind in the basement if he saved enough money
for one, and had come up with some other games that he really wanted
to try out.

The problem is that he had never seen enough of the game and how it
was played before that point to understand the complexity, and there
really isn't anywhere for him to go to see it. Now that he knows, he
has asked me some questions about other games since that point that he
wants to seek out.

I figure though the age 13 thing is about accurate for the point that
they don't even really recognize pins unless they know someone that
owns one. I work with a group of kids, and that seems to be about the
cut off point for those who instantly know what you are talking about,
and those who are like, "What's that?" if you mention it.

It doesn't apply always, but it highlights the failure to communicate
to people better.
David Marston
2008-12-21 15:09:46 UTC
The problem is that he [my 14-year-old cousin] had never seen enough of
the game and how it
was played before that point to understand the complexity, and there
really isn't anywhere for him to go to see it. Now that he knows, he
has asked me some questions about other games since that point that he
wants to seek out.
One answer to *that* problem is for more of us to shoot video about
playing technique and put it up on youtube or other websites. Reach out
to the target audience via media they already use. Some video clips will
be better quality than others, but the Web has ways to sort them out, so
it's okay to try different presentations. Make a video that is specific
to one game/title or one technique, or whatever you think would address
the lack of understanding.

Some fraction of the newbies who see those videos would move on to buy
the DVDs on playing technique or find a nearby expert for personal
coaching. But even those who don't will get the message that pinball is
a game of skill.
................David Marston at MV
t***@aol.com
2008-12-21 16:28:30 UTC
Post by David Marston
[...]
I agree. Another approach I mentioned a while back is to put tutorials
IN the machine on an LCD screen.

-Tom

Pinball Basics DVD
s***@gmail.com
2008-12-05 08:36:33 UTC
Post by HansFrans
[...]
Do you think what we come up with would actually be used?

Andrew
P***@gmail.com
2008-12-04 21:22:34 UTC
Post by HansFrans
What does Stern need change in order to save their company from going
under?
All ideas and suggestions are welcome.
I feel its too late. The economy is to blame for Sterns cost cutting.
The phone is ringing alot this season at our store. People wanting to
SELL us games. I used to buy 3-6 of each title. Not anymore:(
Stavs
2008-12-04 21:25:54 UTC
Post by HansFrans
What does Stern need change in order to save their company from going
under?
All ideas and suggestions are welcome.
Tie a pin into High School Musical and be able to produce it for next
to nothing.

Seriously, like it was said, its a dead horse because people just dont
play pinball anymore, and only a small portion of folks can afford a
NIB machine for home. Hell, people cant afford to pay their mortgages
these days-you think they can buy a pin?
Mike Schudel
2008-12-04 21:34:58 UTC
Post by HansFrans
What does Stern need change in order to save their company from going
under?
All ideas and suggestions are welcome.
Start making slot machines.
--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/yxzavc
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/8ua2n
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu
kjohn
2008-12-04 21:38:25 UTC
Post by HansFrans
What does Stern need change in order to save their company from going
under?
All ideas and suggestions are welcome.
NEWS FLASH!

As LTG has said many many times... the coin-op business is a dying
breed. If you can fix that, then maybe Stern will sell more product.

Go play pinball on route.

Have a nice day.

:)

kj