EMs kick New Stern butt
c***@provide.net
2009-02-16 11:56:09 UTC
I have a location in Walled Lake Michigan with
a new Spiderman and a new Pirates of the Carb.
It's a video store (Crazy Carl's, 1340 S. Commerce rd,
Commerce MI), so not a high volume arcade location.
In fact, the first 2 weeks of earning on these two
new Stern games was like $30. These new sterns
have white/red rubber by the way. (I just *hate*
black rubber.)

So for fun, i put a $150 Gottlieb Fast Draw
that I bought and cleaned up on location
next to the new Stern solidstates. Put the
game there friday night, and check on the
games yesterday (sunday). So that's 48 hours
of "on location" time.

Here's the paid audits:
2005 Stern Pirates: 2 games (50 cents/game, 3 balls)
2008 Stern Spiderman: 3 games (50 cents/game, 3 balls)
1975 Gottlieb Fastdraw: 27 games (25 cents/game, 3 balls)

So basically the Fastdraw kicked solidstate ass!

Because of this, I bought a nice Gottlieb Jumpin Jacks
last night for $400, and i'll put that on location
at Crazy Carl's too. And I'm thinking about adding
an OXO and a Capt Fantastic to the mix too.

For reference, pictures of the Fastdraw are here:
http://marvin3m.com/gtb/fastdraw.htm

Also if you go play the games, please rent a movie
from Crazy Carl. The last thing I want to happen is
Crazy Carl goes out of business!
seymour.shabow
2009-02-16 12:09:40 UTC
Post by c***@provide.net
I have a location in Walled Lake Michigan with
a new Spiderman and a new Pirates of the Carb.
It's a video store (Crazy Carl's, 1340 S. Commerce rd,
Commerce MI), so not a high volume arcade location.
In fact, the first 2 weeks of earning on these two
new Stern games was like $30. These new sterns
have white/red rubber by the way. (I just *hate*
black rubber.)
So for fun, i put a $150 Gottlieb Fast Draw
that I bought and cleaned up on location
next to the new Stern solidstates. Put the
game there friday night, and check on the
games yesterday (sunday). So that's 48 hours
of "on location" time.
2005 Stern Pirates: 2 games (50 cents/game, 3 balls)
2008 Stern Spiderman: 3 games (50 cents/game, 3 balls)
1975 Gottlieb Fastdraw: 27 games (25 cents/game, 3 balls)
So basically the Fastdraw kicked solidstate ass!
FD was the first of my games by far for me to rack 500 plays up on.
They had it down right in those days and before by just whetting your
appetite so much that you HAD to play another game.

-scott CARGPB#29
Ace
2009-02-16 12:20:50 UTC
Actually if the op's would do what you are doing then I bet we would get
more people playing pins and I bet that in the coming weeks the new Sterns
earn more money then they did before you put the FD in. I believe people
will say man I used to play that FD back in the day. After a couple of
games they will try out the new Sterns. FD will still make more because it
is a bring back the old days thing. We all would like to go back to the
days we started playing. Lets just hope it doen't wear off in a couple of
weeks.
-scott CARGPB#29
Bill Heatherly
2009-02-16 12:12:47 UTC
I know a guy here in Eastern Pa. that operates games and had the same
result. He has a location with 6 dot matrix Willima/Bally games and
put an old EM in there and the EM has consistantly brought in more
money.
Bill
j***@comcast.net
2009-02-16 12:23:49 UTC
I wonder if there a lot of people (casual pin players) who might be
put off by the apparent complexity of the newer DMD games, or if there
are a lot of guys 40 plus walking by who happen to see these old EM
games that they haven't seen in years and are like "COOL!", and they
drop some quarters in and play a few games.

When I went to the arcade at Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio last year, I
expected to find a bunch of newer DMD games, but to my surprise they
had a row of some of my favorite EMs. I couldn't believe it. My wife
and son had to drag me out of there on 2 occasions, because I wouldn't
stop playing them.

At any rate, it's cool that the EMs are seeing some plays on location.

Jeff
Gott Lieb?
2009-02-16 12:13:56 UTC
A friend of mine put some EMs out, and they did surprisingly well.
There were no solid state machines at this location, so it's tough to
do a side-by-side comparison. However, talking to other guys who
route newer games, they don't do quite as well. I don't know if it's
the nostalgia effect, the cost per game, or if flat layouts are just
easier for patrons to figure out the rules faster. It's always been
my opinion that the newer games intimidate potential players.

You're *thinking* about an OXO? What gives? ;-)

Jim
Vic Camp
2009-02-16 12:45:51 UTC
Post by c***@provide.net
[...]
Maybe the EM is just easier to understand how to play compared to the
newer Stern games and that's what the general public wants in a
pinball machine.
BlueMalibu
2009-02-16 12:57:49 UTC
Post by c***@provide.net
[...]
Yep. At Marvin't there are 6 Sterns and a GTB ElDorado. The Eldorado
gets played a lot. It doesn't earn the most but only because it 25
cents per game and the top earner is 75 cents per game.

The nostalgia effect is huge. I see people in Marvin's just gush
over the EM and say things like "I used to play this in the Navy."
Puts a BIG SMILE on peoples faces.

Also have found that kids like the simplicity of the game. Rules like
"see if you can knock down all the targets and win a free game" are
very appealing to kids.

Parker
John in WI
2009-02-16 12:57:34 UTC
It would be interesting to see what happens if you price the Sterns at
.25 per game like the EM.
c***@provide.net
2009-02-16 13:11:13 UTC
Post by John in WI
It would be interesting to see what happens if you price the Sterns at
.25 per game like the EM.
I don't think you can even price a new stern below 50 cents a game.
i will check that out. but at 25 cents a game for a $3500 game,
wow that's kind of a hit to the owner's pocketbook.
cody chunn
2009-02-16 13:21:31 UTC
Yes but players don't care what the games cost, only how much it is to play.
Coming here and saying what you did without stating the EM was
half-priced-to-play is misleading.

Make them all the same price to play and then come back and tell us what an
even playfield results in.
--
-cody
--CARGPB4
Brian
2009-02-16 13:46:46 UTC
It's too bad that EMs can't provide you with the assortment of audit
information that a SS machine can. Maybe what you're seeing is a
temporary blip as people try out or experience again an old-school
machine, only to realize what drain monsters some of those games can
be. Sinbad was one of our favorites back in the day because at least
the average person stood a fighting chance for extended gameplay
(which doesn't really help operators). Tricky thing, the balance
between earnings and gameplay.
c***@provide.net
2009-02-16 14:32:14 UTC
In my original post i CLEARLY stated the
cost for one play on each game!
please read original post.
cody chunn
2009-02-16 18:46:15 UTC
I did read the original post. I read the title too, which is what I was
commenting on. Kind of the ole bait and switch. Would they "kick butt" at
the same price? Your title is misleading by omission.
--
-cody
--CARGPB4

<