The Big Sopranos Review
b***@cs.com
2005-03-16 12:47:49 UTC
First off as you all know I am a big time Stern Fan. Partially cause i
it was not for them we would not have any pins being made today. Kudos
to the whole Stern team for that. Now lets get to the Sopranos game.
My fiance and I both got a chance to try it out at the Betson in King
Of Prussia PA. We put in a good hrs worth of play time.
First Off Artwork:
The cabinet looks great. I thought it would look kind of wierd from
the pics I had seen online but it does not. Although it was sitting
right next to elvis, and I must say elvis's artwork to the cabinet is
much more stunning. The backglass artwork is not so hot very blah.
The artwork to the game itself on the playfield is pretty good. Liked
all the inserts on the game and everything was clearly described on the
playfield as far as what to do and what not.
Second Off Sound:
I was expecting a great sound package and what it did have was just a
average sound package. Don't get me wrong their were some very well
done sounds on the game like for food fight and some of the modes. But
most of the game had the same damn song playing. Very poorly done at
least I thought so.
Third Off Animations:
Here we go again also thought these would be pretty cool. Some were
like safe animations, one of the episodes had a good animation. The
stugots mball start was the worst i had ever seen. Not to mention
party at the bing mball. Come on all u got when u got an award was the
screen would say bing award no call outs or anything like that. The
coolest animations were the match and the pork store.
Fourth Off Toys(Fish, Dancing Girls,Boat, and Safe)
1. Fish take this piece of shit out of the game. This has got to be
the worst toy I have ever seen used in a game. The lips could have not
moved and would be better(Trust me you will see what i mean when you
play the game) The whole entire fish was off as far as being in sync
with when he talks and crap.
2. Dancing Girls were very well done, and looked very good that is
compared to the intial shot we got of them awhile back. But wonce
again nothing special here they just would move around on their poles.
3. The Safe Finally we get to the cool part the wauy you wacked the
safe was very cool. Although it would not register half the time you
would hit it. But the whole entire way the safe was integrated into
the game was very neat. As far as light show and animations. When you
get the safe cracked open awesome effect and whne you get into it is
nicely done to.
4. Boat Very well done for what it was a boat to hold the balls nothing
spectacular
Fifth Off Shots in the game:
Going from left to right
1st shot the fish shot sucks ball only lands there by luck almost
impossible shot to hit outside of that.
2nd shot the bing ramp also not the greatest shot ever it was ok but
very shallow and felt like I did not hit the shot enough meaning ramps
should be smooth flowing and the way this one was set up was definitley
not.
3rd shot episode shot:
This shot I actaully liked and though was very well done. very
different shot and very unique/
4th shot Safe Shot:
Also another very neat shot even though it does not register hits half
the time, and the sfae felt and looked like it was already going to
break.
5th shot Stugots and drop target:
Nice shot here pretty cool how the ball holds the balls my only gripe
is that it should hold more then two balls.
6th shot the meadowlands best shot on the whole game( one of the
coolest shots I have ever seen in a pin)
This shot takes the ball upside down and it coems back at you before a
blink of an eye.
Now I forgot to mention the orbits here very nice orbits only problem
is every time you hit the damn things the ball stops in the damn pop
bumpers. Wish that was not the cas cause these orbits are easy to hit
and flow very well.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST GAMEPLAY:
Here is where the game could be great, but is not.
Worst video mode ever executive game. We went from one of the best
video modes ever from Elvis to now the worst throw this damn mode in
the garbage.
Some of the modes are neat like arson, and the horse race and ther was
one other good one also.
Party at the Bing mball has my vote for worst mball ever. You will see
what I mean when you get a chance to play it.
The Stugots mball mode is pretty cool the way it is setup keep hitting
the drop target for jackpots then get a ball in the boat for double
jackpot then get the next ball in the boat for super jackpot. then all
shots lite for jackpots.
Truck Heist is neat hitting the orbits and stuff and then the little
hurrp up mode, but once again nothing special.
Food Fight is probably the neatest feature on the game. Sort of like a
frenzy mode. Like I said very cool mode.
The safe and reaching ranks is also very well done.
The doubling modes you are awarded from hitting the safe are not bad
either.
I got to the underboss mode that mode was very cool also, but I am not
going to ellaborate on that and ruin it for anybody.
One thing i will say is tha game is pretty easy. i almost got all the
way to boss mode and that was only after playing it for a hour.
The bumpers on the game aere same as Elvis they work great.
The New Flipper Design
Is awesome too no more damn flipper humming or soggy flips. You will
see when you play it.
SO IN CONCLUSION:
I had my money all set aside to get this game, and for once I waited to
play a game before I got it just like I did with Elvis. And luckily I
did not prepurchase it, because I feel I would have been greatly
dissapointed. the game is way too easy, and is cool to play at a bar
or something, but as far as HUO not a good game.
I would give it a overall rating of a 7.5 out of ten.
Like I said it is a good game, and could have been great but the code
is just not there.
PS On a side note if you all remember I said I hated Elvis well now I
have gotten a chance to play it several more times, and I really like
it. Very unique game, and it is one of those games the more you play
it the more you start to like it. So I guess for me maybe I will get a
Elvis, or I may just wait and see what nascar looks like, but I am not
holding my breath on that one considering Pat's last two floppers.
This will be his ake or break game.
Thx guys hope this review helps
Derek
r***@comcast.net
2005-03-16 15:15:39 UTC
I also played Sopranos at Betson's in King of Prussia yesterday. I
like it better than Elvis, but TSPP is still my favorite of the newer
Sterns. I really hate the Sopranos backglass. I also thought the game
was very easy. I'm typically just an average player and my first game
on it lasted about 15 minutes or more and I was one step away from
being "The Boss".

I also hate the damn fish. When playing, I just wanted to keep banging
away on the safe to advance my rank and get to the wizard mode. The
safe would not always register hits for me either and the right flipper
flaked out a few times. A fan of the show (which I am) will definately
like the integration of some of the episodes. I thought the music was
ok, but I also thought that there were too many speech bites going on.

Once again, I'll state that I don't know why Stern has to keep making
licensed theme games. Maybe it helps sales, who knows. But I feel
they could have made a very similar fictional mob-themed game and spent
all of that licensing money on making the game even better.
Post by b***@cs.com
[...]
not.
Derek
ldnayman
2005-03-16 15:22:20 UTC
Post by r***@comcast.net
safe would not always register hits for me either and the right flipper
flaked out a few times.
Well that's a Stern for ya. Williams, Gottlieb, and about 10 other
pinball makers managed to make switches that worked 50 years ago, but
Stern still hasn't got the hang of it.

So does this mean that the rumors of yet ANOTHER flipper improvement
(after all they seem to allegedly "improve" them every game) are once
again unfounded?

I was looking forward to a new op system and a flipper refit.
Dukester
2005-03-16 15:30:03 UTC
If their fllippers suck so much, I dont see why they just dont purchase
the Williams patent for their flipper design and use it on Stern
machines. But of course that would hurt their ego so that won't
happen.

Thats whats wrong with USA made. hahahha, If a Japanese company
started making pinball machines. I am pretty sure they would make good
machines that will be quality. They will borrow all the best designs
in pinball (to the point of thievery) and improve on it. Too bad
pinball is not a thing in Japan, where they pretty much destroyed the
pinball world with their Nintendo, playstation , home console.

It is proof evident how they destroyed Atari, that those damn Japs know
Businesss...

If only they loved Pinballs in japan... it would be the end of Stern
and birth of a Legendary Japanese company that would make pinballs
equal if not superior to Williams..

Just a thought..
g***@yahoo.com
2005-03-16 15:34:21 UTC
The problem with making pins overseas is the double shipping cost

even Japanese cars are being made in the USA now to save on shipping

that is why Mr. Australia man will never produce one single pinball
machine

my views ...

Gary
kirb
2005-03-16 22:27:18 UTC
Post by g***@yahoo.com
The problem with making pins overseas is the double shipping cost
and a fraction of the labor cost...the most $$$ part of the game. There
are many reasons that making pinballs does not happen overseas. Two of
them are quality control and short production runs.
Post by g***@yahoo.com
even Japanese cars are being made in the USA now to save on shipping
HA! man, you need to look at WHY cars are not made in Japan anymore.
The reason is not "shipping". Japan cost of mfg is sky high. It's
cheaper to do it here for high volume cars. They also avoid import
duties with the proper percentage of US made parts. Most of the parts
are still shipped from Japan, so your point
is....well...wrong....again.

Why is it that Korean cars are still made there? Cost of mfg is
cheaper. Has very little to do with shipping. Do SOME research before
you throw out pointless facts.
Post by g***@yahoo.com
that is why Mr. Australia man will never produce one single pinball
machine

Another baseless opinion claimed as fact-

Kirb
g***@yahoo.com
2005-03-16 22:50:05 UTC
Kirby,

OK, if that is the case, name me the pinball plants overseas

name them

give me one

you know crap about business

I even wonder what you know about pinball

However you are probably a slam dunk expert on the Michael Jackson jury
trial

that I'll give you ...

my views

gary
kirb
2005-03-16 23:03:39 UTC
Post by g***@yahoo.com
OK, if that is the case, name me the pinball plants overseas
name them
give me one
you know crap about business
What? can't you read? There are no pinball "plants" overseas because
the talent is HERE, the quality control is HERE, and the market is
HERE. You could have China make your games, but the price point for
when this is worth the added crap is a WAY HIGHER UNIT COUNT. Most of
the raw material is here as well (PLYWOOD)

Get that moron? CAN YOU READ?
Post by g***@yahoo.com
I even wonder what you know about pinball
I forgot more about this hobby than you will ever learn. The loogie I
spit out at lunch knows more about pinball. I wonder why you even are
in this hobby. You must play about 1 game a month.
Post by g***@yahoo.com
However you are probably a slam dunk expert on the Michael Jackson jury
trial

Ahh, the intolerant bashing troll sticks out his ugly head. So much for
your promise to post nothing but positives. Yet ANOTHER lie.

Any other school yard crap? Come on gary, try to rise above the bridge
you live under....

Kirb
g***@yahoo.com
2005-03-16 23:24:01 UTC
This is how sick you are ...

You call what I said about Michael Jackson on trial for allegedly
playing with a little boy

INTOLERANCE ???????

Ohhhh ... I should be tolerant of Jackson's alleged actions?

now I understand Kirb ....

You have a twisted view of planet earth

my opinions ...

gary
kirb
2005-03-17 03:12:51 UTC
Post by g***@yahoo.com
You call what I said about Michael Jackson on trial for allegedly
playing with a little boy
Key word is ALLEGEDLY. He is a freak, but because you can't rip on gays
anymore without getting bashed you focus on this jackass. You are
pretty shallow....and stupid.
Post by g***@yahoo.com
INTOLERANCE ???????
That is what I said.
Post by g***@yahoo.com
Ohhhh ... I should be tolerant of Jackson's alleged actions?
He might be guilty, but you don't know that yet. I hope when you get
thrown in the clink that everyone thinks you are guilty before you are
proven that way