Wayne has ASIC remade
mosten
2008-05-22 10:32:42 UTC
From Mr. Pinball this morning:

"WPC & WPC-S & WPC 95 CPU ASIC Chip
Part No 5410-12426-00 and 5410-12426-01 and S38FC049PI03
These are the large square main chip on the CPU. The chip is custom
and have not been made for 10 years. We have had a limited number of
these made at a cost of near 100k. These are EOL end of life parts and
will never be remade, If you have a wpc or wpc S or wpc 95 game it
uses this chip. Now is your chance to stock up on this rare part and
ensure ongoing life for your game. The ASICs will ship June 2nd,
please contact our Distributors to ensure your order as these will not
last long."

It would seem to me that it would have been cheaper to reverse
engineer the WPC ASIC to be emulated by a FPGA like what Edward Cheung
is working on.
beaver
2008-05-22 11:01:50 UTC
I think you are correct. No telling how many he made, but a Xilinx
FPGA that can hold the old ASIC, the CPU chip, the security PIC, the
RAM, and some glue logic costs about a dozen dollars. Only the real-
time clock has to be separate.

Edward Cheung CARGPB26
is working on.
c***@provide.net
2008-05-22 11:31:54 UTC
I really trick thing would be to do a FPGA replacement on a
little circuit board. but on the bottom (solder) side of the board
it would have "legs", so you could plug it into a stock WPC
CPU board. remove the original 6809, RAM, security PIC,
and BAM you're rockin' & rolling!
is working on.-
beaver
2008-05-22 20:06:10 UTC
Yes, that would be a good approach. I looked into 'receptacles' that
plug into the ASIC socket, but could not find one.

This would then allow a tiny daughterboard with the new FPGA to plug
into the ASIC socket.

Edward Cheung CARGPB26
is working on.-
bob
2008-05-22 20:29:34 UTC
Just wondering, how many of you have a bad chip? I have gone through
over 100 of these machines and never had this problem. It's hard to
believe he would spend $100,000 of the money people all paid for MM
games on this - because it will take him 20 years to get his
investment back. He is porbably using one of those Chinese chip makers
(AKA cssneakers.com) that uses a counterfeit chip, erases the
stampings on it, and reprints the top it over to look like the ASIC
chip. When in fact, the only thing Wayne's chip will do is play the
song "I got you in the Gonads", on any WPC or WPC-95 game machine and
blow up the solenoids and flashers.

Bob
heckheck
2008-05-22 20:37:47 UTC
Post by bob
Just wondering, how many of you have a bad chip? I have gone through
Bob
I roached one a couple years back on my FH. Brought it in to work to
do some rework on the switch matrix. They hardware guys all wanted to
take a look and passed it around. It must have picked up some static
along the way. Got it home and no booty. Sent it to Clive, and the
chip had been zapped. Clive said they are mighty static sensitive,
since they are the old CMOS technology that had no input protection.

h_h
Frank-Rainer Grahl
2008-05-24 13:33:56 UTC
When you manage to kill the switch matrix and the ULN2803A they go bad from time
to time too. I needed around 5 to 10 in the last 3 years. 4 bad and the remaining
ones for boards were someone pulled the asic and just sold the (usually hacked)
CPU.
Post by bob
Just wondering, how many of you have a bad chip? I have gone through
over 100 of these machines and never had this problem. It's hard to
believe he would spend $100,000 of the money people all paid for MM
games on this - because it will take him 20 years to get his
investment back. He is porbably using one of those Chinese chip makers
(AKA cssneakers.com) that uses a counterfeit chip, erases the
stampings on it, and reprints the top it over to look like the ASIC
chip. When in fact, the only thing Wayne's chip will do is play the
song "I got you in the Gonads", on any WPC or WPC-95 game machine and
blow up the solenoids and flashers.
Bob
Regards
Frank-Rainer Grahl

www.pinballz.net - The #1 pinball forum for me
s***@mrpinball.com.au
2008-05-24 14:18:41 UTC
Post by bob
Just wondering, how many of you have a bad chip? I have gone through
over 100 of these machines and never had this problem. It's hard to
believe he would spend $100,000 of the money people all paid for MM
games on this - because it will take him 20 years to get his
investment back. He is porbably using one of those Chinese chip makers
(AKA cssneakers.com) that uses a counterfeit chip, erases the
stampings on it, and reprints the top it over to look like the ASIC
chip. When in fact, the only thing Wayne's chip will do is play the
song "I got you in the Gonads", on any WPC or WPC-95 game machine and
blow up the solenoids and flashers.
Bob
They are the original chip made by the original chip maker for WMS, No
chinese copys, and yes we are loosing money on them, and they will
never be available again, we have enough for mm and CC and a few spare
and thats the end of it.

A total redesign will need to be done after that.

PS we did the AV board one as well, they will be ready soon.
Dave
2008-05-24 14:32:58 UTC
Ed,

My old Motorla 68hc705 ICE has a fabricated piece that will snap into
a PLCC socket. Looks like a bunch of work to make one up though! It
might be easier just to remove the old ASIC socket and replace with
headers !!

Dave
is working on.-
s***@mrpinball.com.au
2008-05-24 14:54:11 UTC
Post by mosten
"WPC & WPC-S & WPC 95 CPU ASIC Chip
Part No 5410-12426-00 and 5410-12426-01 and S38FC049PI03
These are the large square main chip on the CPU. The chip is custom
and have not been made for 10 years. We have had a limited number of
these made at a cost of near 100k. These are EOL end of life parts and
will never be remade, If you have a wpc or wpc S or wpc 95 game it
uses this chip. Now is your chance to stock up on this rare part and
ensure ongoing life for your game. The ASICs will ship June 2nd,
please contact our Distributors to ensure your order as these will not
last long."
It would seem to me that it would have been cheaper to reverse
engineer the WPC ASIC to be emulated by a FPGA like what Edward Cheung
is working on.-- Hide quoted text -
lets face it beaver is great at working out how stuff works and
getting it to work on a test board situation, however he is not able
to get it packaged up into a product that can be sold at a realistic
price.

And with all the Asics being available there will be no market for his
product anyway.
miracleman
ahhh, but he's still a saint compared to you.
Sammy
Are these chips gonna be available at BAA, Marco, etc?
Expat
2008-05-24 16:03:30 UTC
Post by Sammy
Post by mosten
[...]
Thanks Wayne for bringing these to market.ignore the haters,some of us
actually like having product available!
chuck
2008-05-24 20:00:11 UTC
Thank you master for coming here... ignore the haters, I actually like having pictures of you pasted all over my room
fixed
Expat
2008-05-24 22:33:18 UTC
Thank you master for coming here... ignore the haters, I actually like having pictures of you pasted all over my room
fixed
Don't worry chuckie,I'd rather have ONE picture of a fat pinballer
than what must be the RGP gallery your housing judging on how many
boots you've stooped to lick ;)
C'mon rokk star,show us yer stuff! Ohh that's right,chicken shit as
always.
chuck
2008-05-24 22:50:33 UTC
Post by Expat
Thank you master for coming here... ignore the haters, I actually like having pictures of you pasted all over my room
fixed
Don't worry chuckie,I'd rather have ONE picture of a fat pinballer
than what must be the RGP gallery your housing judging on how many
boots you've stooped to lick  ;)
C'mon rokk star,show us yer stuff! Ohh that's right,chicken shit as
always.
Childish, vulgar, and un-intelligent schoolyard challenges and
insults. To someone like you wayne probably is cool... I asked you
before, what will you do when he's gone?
beaver
2008-05-24 17:03:00 UTC
You are probably correct, but consider the following:

1) development costs. I am just a one-man show. I do not have to pay
a staff a running salary. All of my development costs have already
been recooped (and more) due to the repair work on WPC boards I have
done due to the familiarity I now have with the boards.

2) parts costs. The FPGA code includes the CPU chip, the RAM, the
Security PIC, and some other minor parts. This can be done for about
$10-$15 in modest quantities. Quite a bit less than the cost of an
ASIC alone.

3) functionality. IF (and I do mean IF) I produce a board, it won't
be identical to existing ones. For example, the new CPU board would
be universal. Thus you can use it for WPC-89 or WPC-95. No security
PIC would be needed. Also, the board would have VGA output. Imagine
being able to fire up a CPU board on your bench (or in the machine)
without needing a DMD or high voltage, nor a display board. You could
then run diagnostics to quickly isolate where the problem lies. Other
features could also be incorporated. USB software load for example.
Or an oscilloscope mode in the top half of the VGA display. Simply
plug in a VGA monitor, and with a CPU board, you would have a scope to
use in your debugging. Another idea is that the top half of the VGA
display could display an image or video consistent with the theme of
the machine.

Having said that, since I am NOT in this for the money, I have no
plans in place to build a CPU board. Like many other folks, I want to
see MORE parts come out (not less). This means having as many produce
them as possible for healthy competition. So I do want you to
succeed. However, last year, due to lack of news, I was fearing the
slow demise of WPC, and felt I could do something. So I did.

One day, the 68B09 will stop to be made (if it hasn't already), or the
Security PIC. My implementation (VHDL) can be easily migrated to
almost any FPGA.

Edward Cheung CARGPB26
product anyway.
miracleman
2008-05-24 17:15:47 UTC
WayNO's chickensh*t email reply to my post.....
Post by miracleman
ahhh, but he's still a saint compared to you.
IF he is a saint then that makes me your pinball GOD
...sorry, a-hole, I;m a WayNO atheist.
GPE
2008-05-25 00:51:31 UTC
Post by beaver
[...]
It's "wonderful" what can be done with an inexpensive FPGA these days! With
the FPGA as large and inexpensive as they currently are (and getting larger
& cheaper day by day) - ASIC's seem to be a dying breed.

And, Yup, the standard 68B09 has aready met it's demise...

-- Ed
product anyway.
Mamushka
2008-05-24 17:15:45 UTC
Post by s***@mrpinball.com.au
And with all the Asics being available there will be no market for his
product anyway.
less than an hour before this post you stated:
"we have enough for mm and CC and a few spare
and thats the end of it."

So your "few" spares will be enough to flood the market? May I please
ask how many spares that you had made, is it 10, 100, 1000?

Thanks,
Mamushka
cody chunn
2008-05-22 12:09:13 UTC
That announcement was made months ago and followed up by stoic silence. That
is the trend for them: promise something then deliver nothing. Quality and
functionality of these items if they ever do ship is another matter.
--
-cody
CARGPB4
is working on.
Eric A.
2008-05-22 14:48:51 UTC
Post by cody chunn
That announcement was made months ago and followed up by stoic silence. That
is the trend for them: promise something then deliver nothing. Quality and
functionality of these items if they ever do ship is another matter.
Cody....cody.....cody.....why doubt him? He has proven soooooo MUCH!
BTW wasn't this announcement closer to a year ago. BTW, if these are
going to be done GREAT! However, if they're going to be 100 bucks each
what is any different from ordering them currently through a broker?

Eric A.
313-268-0541
RonKZ650
313-268-0541
Eric A.
2008-05-22 15:12:13 UTC
Post by RonKZ650
Supposedly they are ready to ship. I got the paypal request for
payment a couple days ago $58 shipped and paid. We'll see soon
hopefully
So where did you order from?

Eric A.
313-268-0541
Fat Tony
At $58.00 he must have been on the List direct from TPF.
RonKZ650
metallik
2008-05-22 15:26:05 UTC
Post by Fat Tony
At $58.00 he must have been on the List direct from TPF.
Interesting.. some numbers to play with:

If Wayne's claim of $100K in costs (aussie or american dollars,
doesn't really matter right now) is true.. as is his claim of limited
quantity... and he's selling them for $58... let's assume his cost
on them was $40 or so. This means he had to have made *at least* 2500
of them. Otherwise he's losing money.

So... are there 2500 of them made, and are some earmarked for MM
games? 2500 is a lot of stock without the MM or CC projects using
some up, especially with folks like Ed working on REing the whole
thing.

Or is this more BS? Guess we'll find out when the first few ship.
c***@provide.net
2008-05-24 18:39:22 UTC
I used to buy ASICs from Steve Young for $22. At $58, that's
rather expensive. If it was me, i would have gotten the quantity
up to try and get the unit cost down. Like Rottendog would
probably want a mess of these for his replacement CPU boards.
And Marco/BAA/PBR i'm sure would all want a quantity of them
too.
Eric A.
chuck
2008-05-24 20:03:45 UTC
Post by Eric A.
Post by cody chunn
That announcement was made months ago and followed up by stoic silence. That
is the trend for them: promise something then deliver nothing. Quality and
functionality of these items if they ever do ship is another matter.
Cody....cody.....cody.....why doubt him? He has proven soooooo MUCH!
BTW wasn't this announcement closer to a year ago. BTW, if these are
going to be done GREAT! However, if they're going to be 100 bucks each
what is any different from ordering them currently through a broker?
Eric A.- Hide quoted text -
But Clay, wayne is *losing* money on this... Like he seems to do with
everything else he sells. You believe him dont you?
Pinballace
2008-05-25 04:18:23 UTC
Post by Eric A.
Post by cody chunn
That announcement was made months ago and followed up by stoic silence. That
is the trend for them: promise something then deliver nothing. Quality and
functionality of these items if they ever do ship is another matter.
Cody....cody.....cody.....why doubt him? He has proven soooooo MUCH!
BTW wasn't this announcement closer to a year ago. BTW, if these are
going to be done GREAT! However, if they're going to be 100 bucks each
what is any different from ordering them currently through a broker?
Eric A.- Hide quoted text -
But Clay, wayne is *losing* money on this...  Like he seems to do with
everything else he sells.  You believe him dont you?- Hide quoted text -
Don't worry Chuck, all the money Waynes losing on these ASIC chips are
being made up for with lil frog sales. I think I remember him saying
something like he sold a bunch of them (frogs) to his "sister in laws"
kids for a huge profit.

As for Sexputz, he's just Waynes butt puppet...he's got crazy brave
typing fingers but no arse to back them up. I can't wait for another
one of his hokey name calling reprisals.
Captain Neo
2008-05-25 04:44:47 UTC
I don't know how anyone can say anything about Ed C. I have some
actual electrical product, produced and designed by Ed himself.
Can't say I have anything like that sitting here from TPF. Ed's had
more high tech equipment out his doors, than TPF. And in half the
time.
Gregg
2008-05-25 13:01:20 UTC
In article
Post by Captain Neo
I don't know how anyone can say anything about Ed C. I have some
actual electrical product, produced and designed by Ed himself.
Can't say I have anything like that sitting here from TPF. Ed's had
more high tech equipment out his doors, than TPF. And in half the
time.
And you can actually meet him at shows. I have met Ed at various events
and he is a great guy.
Gregg in Baltimore
d***@hotmail.com
2008-05-25 13:18:51 UTC
And you can actually meet him at shows.  I have met Ed at various
events
and he is a great guy.
And he actually cares about pinball... I haven't met the man
personally, but he's email helped me (and I'm sure half the board) so
when I do, I'd love to say hello and shake his hand!

WayNO... not so much...

Mark C. Spaeth
2008-05-24 23:56:42 UTC
mosten <***@gmail.com> wrote:
: It would seem to me that it would have been cheaper to reverse
: engineer the WPC ASIC to be emulated by a FPGA like what Edward Cheung
: is working on.

I highly doubt they had any more chips fabbed, per se...

Far more likely that they had old wafers diced and packaged...
--
Mark Spaeth ***@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 ***@mit.edu