Kevin Wayte from CPR *IS* Todd Marchant
cyBORG
2008-12-02 06:52:14 UTC
In reference to message titled : "Todd Marchant = Kevin Wayte (from
CPR)?" in rec.games.pinball

A while back, I thought I had discovered that Kevin Wayte (from
Classic Playfield Reproductions) was using an alias
(***@gmail.com) to bash John Greatwich; a pinball
enthusiast who has been experimenting with Direct Ink printing on wood
playfields. As you can see in the thread referenced at the top of
the message; Kevin denied that he was the one slamming John at the
time under the alias of "Todd Marchant"; even though every single
aspect of the headers indicated it was his computer specifically that
was making the post under the alias.

I had seen Kevin aliasing before on rec.games.pinball; mostly to
pretend he was someone else in order to hype a CPR product (Remember
their first few playfield projects years ago? Do some looking!) - we
mostly just quietly laughed about it at the time in #pinball on EFNet
and let it go. This time; I felt that enough was enough, John did not
deserve the blatant attack (quoted in the thread I referenced above in
rec.games.pinball)

I contacted Mike Purcell; and we went back and forth a few times via e-
mail regarding this incident. Mike didn't seem too thrilled; and
voiced his concern that it was indeed Kevin who was making the attack
post on John Greatwich; but I admitted that without more evidence
(despite the overwhelmingly strong, 99% solid evidence I already had);
I couldn't say for sure, 100% that it was Kevin Wayte. I had done
lots of research on newsgroups though and attempted to build a profile
of Kevin's behaviour; and it seemed to match what I was seeing
recently.

Kevin at this point chimed in via e-mail and decided he was going to
call me. I figured I would play both good cop and bad cop myself over
the course of the conversation. Oh yeah; and I recorded the call and
have kept it for PRIVATE playback and reference, in accordance with
the laws of Canada. One party must consent to this; and I was that
one party.

Here's a short version of how the call went, I am paraphrasing heavily
because this call lasted something like 45 minutes.

-Me : Ok, I know you did it just cut the shit and admit it and I'll
drop it immediately. I'm being pushy. Honestly, if he had not
decided to do what comes next and WASTE MY TIME and BULLSHIT ME for
the next 35 minutes; I would have let it go and we could have honestly
laughed about it together.

-Kevin : Nah, I didn't do it. Now I will waste 20 minutes of your
life telling you about all the people and things that frustrate me;
also how elite my computer skills are because I went to Acadia and was
taught by alcoholic Russians how to program on a PDP-11. (Ok, I made
up the PDP-11 part, but I assume he is old since Russians are being
referenced as the foremost authorities on computer programming).

-I knew at this point that since he didn't come on the phone all
pissed at me and tried to be 'Mr. nice guy' that I had him. This was
a major weakness in my opinion; so I just danced around until I
figured the time was right to move in for the kill.

This is where shit starts to get wacky. I had to really control
myself and not laugh at times.

-Kevin : Ok, I blame Greg Walker for hijacking my IP and posting as
'me' using the todd marchant alias.

-Me : I talked to Greg and he says he didn't do it and does not post
to RGP anymore. I've met Greg, and frankly he was a straight shooter
and a nice fella in person.

-Kevin : Ok... (nervous) maybe it wasn't Greg Walker. It was this guy
Neal (Neil?) who used to work for CPR. He is a linux geek and can
hack anything you can buy at Future Shop. He hacked my internet
connection.

-Me : Bullshit. *( HOLY SLANDER, BATMAN! )*

-Kevin : Now I'd like to tell you about John Greatwich. Blah blah
blah. Some negative stuff is said regarding John's character and
social skills and the validity of what he is doing with playfields.

-Me : I think what he is doing is crazy too, frankly. I question his
methods and think he's an idiot for trying to do what he's trying to
do. (with regards to his Direct Ink project). Cut to the chase, this
is bullshit.

-Kevin : * More nonsense that goes nowhere *

Grand Finale :

-Me : Cut the shit, Kevin.
-My brain : I'm going to have some fun with you now since you've been
lying to me for like a week now in various forms and so I tell you I
won't tell anyone what you did if you just admit it. I'll even tell
your business partner everything is hunky dorey and we'll all have a
tea party together. I give myself an oscar for pretending to be nice
and get along just to coax the info out of him. I figure that my one
little lie VS about 20 of his + a bunch of character assassination,
slander and whining about licensors (not really covered in this
message) - is a fair trade.

-Kevin : Ok, you got me. I did indeed post as Todd Marchant
(***@gmail.com). But don't tell Mike - he is SUPER
pissed about this right now, dude! Ohno!

-We say our goodbyes and pretend we are going to get along in the
future; I promise to bring my tea set if and when we have our tea
party. Yay, all is well.

-I hang up and laugh pretty hard for a good 3 minutes.

-I play nice for a while just for shits and giggles. I even pretend
I'm interested in working for them just to see where it goes -. I
honestly never expect a reply; and secondarily - why would I want to
work for someone who would slander me like he just did to his ex-
employee Neal (Neil?) during our phone call? Maybe I shouldn't worry
- I'm sure it's possible that Neal was invented as a scapegoat and
does not actually exist. Anything to avoid getting his hand slapped
for being in the cookie jar I guess...

Cheers;
-cyBORG
CornCob
2008-12-02 10:41:15 UTC
Post by cyBORG
[...]
Busted. Greg Walker is supposed to be John's friend so I serious
doubt he has anything to do with it on a negative front.

Ping
mattyb
2008-12-02 11:59:13 UTC
Post by cyBORG
[...]
I take it "The ends justifies the means" is your personal motto?
MattyB.
Drewscruis
Um. Who cares?
Gerry
2008-12-02 13:10:22 UTC
This all happened back in August. Who cares? Why are you digging this
all up again? Go play pinball or something.

Gerry
someotherguy
2008-12-02 14:46:18 UTC
Post by Gerry
This all happened back in August. Who cares? Why are you digging this
all up again? Go play pinball or something.
Gerry
To all of those with the "who cares" attitude, just wait until you're burned by
the guy in some way and we'll see who cares. It used to matter if the people we
were doing business with were honest and of good character, but I suppose since
people are desperate for repro parts, you'll deal with any swingin' dick out
there and god damn whether or not they're posting on the newsgroup under
different personalities, slamming potential competition, spreading lies and
generally behaving like a piece of shit.

Y'all may not know cy, as he generally lurks here, but I believe he's telling
the truth. Obviously, none of you are required to. Especially since doing so
would mean admitting you're doing business with a liar and a fraud, and we can't
have that, can we?

The holier-than-thou "so the ends justifies the means for you?" comment applies
both ways, the difference is, cy isn't on here trying to sell parts to you.

Richard
Drewscruis
2008-12-02 15:56:55 UTC
On Dec 2, 9:46�am, someotherguy
Post by someotherguy
Post by Gerry
[...]
Um they make a great product, maybe you haven't had the opportunity to
see one up close but I have, and quite honestly who cares who makes
what and when or how, would you rather there be nothing? I mean really
do we have to bring up shit to make yourself feel better about you
being you??? I don't care who makes what or how they make it as long
as it is a quality product and is reasonably priced. this is just my
opinion on the matter and don't care how you perceive it one way or
another, and if you need to act like a kindergartner about it make
sure you have your nap mat ready because the cry babies need a nap.
someotherguy
2008-12-02 16:13:33 UTC
On Dec 2, 9:46?am, someotherguy
Post by someotherguy
Post by Gerry
[...]
"Um" maybe you missed the reports a while back when some of us got products that
AREN'T so great; maybe you should do a little research before making stupid
statements. Anyway you said exactly what I expected to hear, "I don't care who
makes what or how they make it" blah blah blah. It's clear it doesn't matter to
you if the people you're doing business with are dirtbags...that's fine. There's
lots more like you in this world, and the dirtbags will prosper.

Richard
Drewscruis
2008-12-02 16:19:21 UTC
On Dec 2, 11:13�am, someotherguy
Post by someotherguy
On Dec 2, 9:46?am, someotherguy
Post by someotherguy
Post by Gerry
[...]
Richard- Hide quoted text -
and I'm sure you live in a glass house and play baseball in it.
g***@gmail.com
2008-12-02 17:06:10 UTC
CPR actually puts out a high quality product. The other dirtbags
being referred to put out product that's not fit for my garbage can
and yet they get hailed as the best to thing to happen to pinball
since the flipper.

All's fair in love and war . . . .

-Gregg B.
metallik
2008-12-02 17:11:19 UTC
CPR actually puts out a high quality product.  The other dirtbags
being referred to put out product that's not fit for my garbage can
and yet they get hailed as the best to thing to happen to pinball
since the flipper.
PR has made some good things, but I wouldn't exactly call acrylic
playfield plastics a "high quality product" (my money's still on the
table for the guy who makes proper Whirlwind plastics.) Not to
mention the fact that Greatwich's process would be ideal for low-
volume restorations using existing wood. Don't see why you feel the
need to call him a dirtbag - he's a nice enough guy - but you've shown
yourself to be an idiot in the past so I guess it comes with the
territory :)
c***@gmail.com
2008-12-02 19:39:00 UTC
Sometimes it amazes me how much bickering there is in this community
for no damn reason at all. I don't know why it does, since it never
changes, but WTF people chill and work towards common goals.
g***@hotmail.com
2008-12-02 17:07:53 UTC
On Dec 2, 11:13 am, someotherguy
Post by someotherguy
On Dec 2, 9:46?am, someotherguy
Post by someotherguy
Post by Gerry
[...]
and I'm sure you live in a glass house and play baseball in it.- Hide quoted text -
I just happened to be home for my lunch break & to test out a product
on the Paragon test glass. Clearshield which is designed for uv ink:
http://www.clearstarcorp.com/clearjetfaq.asp

It is old news being trashed on this group, about my direct ink
projects the last couple of years. I really don't care who posted it,
& lots of people want to voice negative/positive thoughts about using
uv inkjet technology. I take all the information in, & use as much as
I can towards perfecting this process for pinball.

I am currently working with CPR, when needed to help out on
playfields. Right alongside Kevin, who is doing all the great stuff.
My wish is that he can do my white & silver for backglass, over uv
ink. That's my goal, but if its not possible we will work on another
angle with films. So Mike & Kevin, are agreeable to helping me out on
glass work if possible. TPF & Wayne Gillard are another story, I won't
be doing anything with him & I am not to communicate in any way (his
last tirade, which is fine by me).
Mike Purcell
2008-12-02 15:59:04 UTC
You know Cy, I don't know where a lot of this comes from.

I, and by extension CPR have always privately and publicly supported
and aided John in any way we could. I have done some gratis CAD design
and CNC cutting work for him, and we have helped in many other ways.
John has been bringing his direct ink playfields and backglasses to me
for my opinions for some time. I have been taking pictures for him to
post and even giving some advice and input on how to help him out, now
we are moving to test screening for him and he's helping us out
drilling Xenon PFs.

I was livid many many months ago when you first brought this up that
Kevin might have posted some stupid comments about a John. You said
at the time you couldn't be 100% sure and when I spoke to Kevin he
never admitted it but he did say he would make sure it never happened
again. A little face saving maybe, but since the posts were not made
by Kevin as representing CPR I let the whole thing slide. Since that
time Kevin has been very helpful to John and his projects and like I
said they have been working together for the last while so I can't
imagine that rehashing this has any benefit at all.

The fact that Kevin who may have posted this did so anonymously shows
it did not have the backing of CPR and were merely the opinions of a
single person and I may add a single person who didn't even believe
enough in those words to sign his own name. The fact that Kevin has
since been willing to help John out and to have John help us out seems
to me like actions are speaking louder than words.

Mike
Sam
2008-12-02 17:02:11 UTC
Post by Mike Purcell
[...]
I think enough bandwidth has been wasted on this subject. I support CPR
and John not because of the people involved but for what their goals
represent. And that's for the betterment of the pinball hobby. Back to
regular programming!

Sam
cyBORG
2008-12-02 23:15:36 UTC
Post by Mike Purcell
I was livid many many months ago when you first brought this up that
Kevin might have posted some stupid comments about a John. You said
at the time you couldn't be 100% sure and when I spoke to Kevin he
never admitted it but he did say he would make sure it never happened
again. A little face saving maybe, but since the posts were not made
by Kevin as representing CPR I let the whole thing slide. Since that
time Kevin has been very helpful to John and his projects and like I
said they have been working together for the last while so I can't
imagine that rehashing this has any benefit at all.
Mike
As you may or may not have noticed in my original message above; I got
Kevin to admit it on the phone (ie - 100% proof!); and as a
'courtesy' (had to keep myself from laughing when I told him I would
do this) told him I would tell you I didn't have enough proof,
providing he admitted fully to you that it was him. Sadly you're not
doing his character any favors by telling us he skirted the issue and
didn't directly admit it to you, since he agreed to do so; *and* I
have a record of this on the recording I made of the phone call. I
must have misread the message you sent to me as below, with the
complete header...

My suggestion on a go-forward basis is that if someone is going to
post and NOT represent CPR, they may want to have the brains to post
using a computer OTHER than the one they use to post all the official
CPR posts. Frankly I'd even respect it if he came out and used his
real name but clearly identified that he was posting his personal
opinion rather than representing your company directly. It's STUPID
and GUTLESS to expect us to accept the lies he perpetrated to cover
his own ass - especially doing it weakly aliased and then using
slander tactics to blame it on innocent parties. I do not think that
Kevin should be making posts representing your company on a go-forward
basis, because he has a history of being fraudulent and
misrepresenting your company. Go ahead, let it slide. It's your ship
to sink, not mine :-)

Of course Kevin is helping John right now. A guilty conscience can be
a detestable, nagging thing... In my opinion, using the analogy that
actions are speaking louder than words is a feeble attempt to smear a
positive spin on this embarassing situation. It's like being caught
punching a baby then volunteering at an orphanage afterwards, whoop de
god-damn doo.

Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 00:03:16 -0300
From: Mike Purcell <***@eastlink.ca>
Subject: CPR Stuff
To: 'cyBORG' <***@gmail.com>

--Boundary_(ID_KV/39IYsZOmTiwP6cLa9eg)

Hey;

Kevin spilled the beans today, I knew the bastard did that. I was
pissed
more than a bit but he told me he spoke with you and John both and
things
were fine. He also promised to keep himself in check in the future.
Mike Purcell
2008-12-03 00:33:24 UTC
Cy;

I truly don't know what your interest is in this or what you think you
have to gain or to prove.

I do think Kevin may have spoken out of turn and certainly without
thinking but guess what, we all have at one time or another. The only
difference is that Google now makes it very hard to forget our past
indiscretions. It doesn't help when someone else whose motivation
completely escapes me keeps bringing it up. I keep asking myself how
you benefit from this but I just can't figure it out. The apparent
lengths you have gone to (and they are actually "stalking" type scary)
seems to indicate you have some motivation that is not apparent to the
rest of us. You have put more investigative time and effort into this
thing than most CSI episodes and far more than a real criminal
investigation. You even went to great lengths and covertly recorded a
private phone call! That's more than a little odd for want of a better
word.

The way I see it, is Kevin may have said something out of turn using a
pseudonym but he and John have buried the hatchet and moved on, so why
can't you?

Mike
Taylor-VA
2008-12-03 01:43:29 UTC
WTF???

So someone talked shit on someone else. Whoppee!!!
Seems that John could care less at this point.

I for one couldn't give a crap nor could 99% of the people here.

Oh well.

Just had to get that out.
: )
cyBORG
2008-12-03 19:26:43 UTC
Post by Mike Purcell
[...]
Hah, I got a chuckle out of the stalking comment, other than what I've
already stated I know nothing about you two, ie - phone numbers,
addresses; I don't know and I just don't care. Hell, I don't know
what products you're working on or plan to work on. It should be
obvious to anyone reading this thread that my 'motivation' was simply
to expose the truth, however unfashionable it may be.

I'm sure you could admit that if YOU were the one involved in this
whole thing you probably wouldn't have started blaming Greg Walker and
Neil (Bell?) for your actions. That's just baseless slander and shows
questionable judgement no matter who you are. He attempted to use
scapegoats who would not likely defend themselves and that
fundamentally bothered me. And you're trying to put me on trial now?
Pardon me while I have a hearty belly laugh.

When Kevin e-mailed me and told me he'd call me, I quickly figured out
that :

1. He was going to lie more during the phone call and I predicted I
could get the truth out of him.

2. Keeping a record of the call on my computer and e-mails in a gmail
account is pretty straightforward; and does not require any true
expenditure of effort, nor the talent of a 'Gil Grissom level 32' CSI
agent. This is the digital age. It literally took the effort of
recording the call on a digital device and reading e-mails in my spare
time. Frankly if I were you I'd celebrate the fact that the recording
is being kept PRIVATE.

I appreciate your desire to make me look like the 'bad guy' and
basically insinuating that I'm 'crazy' - it's a vain attempt (imo) to
turn the tide in your favor; and that's perfectly understandable when
it comes to RGP - I've seen it all before, it's nothing new.

“I'm not sure I want popular opinion on my side -- I've noticed those
with the most opinions often have the fewest facts.” - Bethania
McKenstry

Good day to you, sir. I am done if you are.

-cyBORG
Chad Tower
2008-12-03 19:41:16 UTC
Wow. What an asshat.
Mark Clayton
2008-12-03 20:28:50 UTC
I wasn't expecting some sort of Spanish Inquisition...

-Mark
-----
http://pinballpal.com
Wow. What an asshat.
cody chunn

Wow. What an asshat.
Coin-Op Cauldron (Clive)
2008-12-03 23:43:09 UTC
Post by cody chunn
*blam!*
"NO ONE EVER EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!"
Daa, Cody! You beat me to it and I'm the English one! ;-)

Clive

-- The Coin-Op Cauldron --
103 Armistead lane
Easley, SC 29642
(864)238-1707
www.coinopcauldron.com
Mark Clayton
2008-12-04 01:12:37 UTC
Clive:

It's the comfy chair for you, then.

-Mark
-----
http://pinballpal.com
www.coinopcauldron.com
chuck
2008-12-04 01:22:19 UTC
I can only add one bit of wisdom to this already epic waste of time:

g***@hotmail.com
2008-12-05 23:23:54 UTC
Post by chuck
http://youtu.be/knYBw2aRTtk
I have moved forward & it looks like I won't need Kevin to do silk
screen work. Seems like the uv ink & ink used by them is just too
harsh, even trying some protection. I still would of used his services
if I could, but it just won't work. Also I think there is a lot of
negativity from TPF, Wayne & staff. So I have been told they are happy
with CPR & I am never to communicate with them again personally.

The truth has been proved, & its time to move forward. That's my
personal opinion, & I hold nothing against Kevin. If anyone saw the
dedication he has & the many hours he puts in. Clear thinking
sometimes could be affected. Forgive & forget the past, time to move
forward. Like I always say better to have more people making pinball
products or services for our hobby!
f***@sbcglobal.net
2008-12-07 05:57:14 UTC
Post by Mark Clayton
I wasn't expecting some sort of Spanish Inquisition...
-Mark
-----
http://pinballpal.com
Wow.  What an asshat.- Hide quoted text -
Really who cares? Get a life!! Pinball is like everything else theifs
and BSers everywhere!!

OldTimer
2008-12-03 03:21:48 UTC
Heh - this analogy made me smile for some reason ;-)
mufcmufc
2008-12-03 15:46:05 UTC
Hold on while I pretend to

Nope, can't do it. I guess no one else can either not even John

Unlucky Mr Shit Stirrer, go Join TPF

Nick
Kenbo
2008-12-02 14:03:08 UTC