Judge Dredd Technical Difficulties
the1anton
2009-10-11 11:54:47 UTC
My JD machine recently required its CPU to be repaired as it had too
many volts sent through it. The issues before repair were that none of
the buttons functioned. On receiving on the CPU back, not only had I
got assurances that the CPU now worked, but the L4 rom had been
replaced with an L7. Now, all the buttons work superbly, and the only
error on testing is the upper left flipper EOS switch, which I ignore
because it is not a problem and the connection for that switch on the
board is poor anyway.

The problem now is that the game keeps entering Air Raid mode
spontaneously and at random without even going up the Air Raid ramp,
and therefore the left shooter is not even used. It will also enter
this mode when going up the Stakeout and Sniper Tower ramps, but not
always. Hitting the JUDGE drop targets can do it too, but this might
be coincidence. Not only that, but it will sometimes enter the mode
before the first ball is launched and also restart the mode before the
current Air Raid is even over (sometimes a few seconds in, as the Air
Raid claxon effect plays like a skipping record, a sign of it
restarting). This of course means I can't enjoy the rest of the game
and have to hit the drop targets using the flippers before proceeding,
but even completing the mode can cause it just to start over again!

I'm not sure if it's a rom issue, an opto issue, or something
different. This problem was not apparent before the CPU was sent for
repairs and the L4 rom was in place. I'd like to think the CPU is
repaired, as there are now no malfunctioning buttons and testing
confirms this also. One final note is that during Supergame multiball
is the only time I don't have Air Raid issues, maybe because Air Raid
is not available during Supergame multiball (guessing).

Any advice would be appreciated!
Borygard
2009-10-11 12:20:56 UTC
Sounds like possibly a switch matrix issue. If the board is 100%, then
likely a short on the playfield somewhere. Switch diode wired backwards,
lug shorting, that kind of thing.

Put the game into switch edges test and see if any of the switches make
multiple switches when made. If they do, perform the test again with a
jumper wire to the switch matrix row and column pins, and the switch matrix
connectors on the bottom of the CPU disconnected. This will confirm if it's
still a CPU issue or not.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
the1anton
2009-10-11 14:25:08 UTC
Post by the1anton
[...]
Thanks for your advice. I forgot to mention I'm a pinball newbie. Do
you know if a jumper wire is contained within the machine?
Borygard
2009-10-11 14:33:32 UTC
Officially, no. ;)

Try here for the procedure....

http://www.pinrepair.com/wpc/index2.htm#switch
JD
2009-10-11 14:57:36 UTC
Wouldn't it be wise for the user to go into the test menu and see if any
errors occur or if a switch is stuck on?

-JD-
the1anton
2009-10-12 11:37:24 UTC
Post by Borygard
Officially, no. ;)
Try here for the procedure....
http://www.pinrepair.com/wpc/index2.htm#switch
The only error I get when I switch the machine on is F7, Upper Left
Flipper End of Stroke, which I think is to the left column outside of
the 8x8 switch matrix. Having read a bit of the link above, are you
guys suggesting that there may not be an error with F7, but the true
error is being interpreted by the machine as such?
Borygard
2009-10-12 12:46:23 UTC
No. The flipper control and switches go through the Fliptronics board and
have nothing to do with the switch matrix. These two different issues are
likely not related.

Follow the link in my previous post and do the "diode-switch matrix" test on
the CPU to determine if you've got a problem on the CPU or out on the
playfield.
the1anton
2009-10-12 12:53:07 UTC
Post by Borygard
Officially, no. ;)
Try here for the procedure....
http://www.pinrepair.com/wpc/index2.htm#switch
The only error I get when I switch the machine on is F7, Upper Left
Flipper End of Stroke, which I think is to the left column outside of
the 8x8 switch matrix. Having read a bit of the link above, are you
guys suggesting that there may not be an error with F7, but the true
error is being interpreted by the machine as such?
I went through the switch edges test for every switch. Two issues:

According the switch testing on diagnostics, the 'Top Ramp Exit' opto
is located for the Airraid ramp. The 'Right Ramp Exit' opto is located
for the Stakeout ramp. However, the exit rails for Airraid are
physically located BENEATH the exit for Stakeout. Is this me being
dense? I would have thought something that was designated 'top' on the
schematics would be the topmost opto out of the two.

Secondly, I tested the Airraid opto, at first it registered as open/
closed fine, but then it rapidly went to open/closed with or without
me blocking the beam, then finally stopped working. I gave it 10
minutes, and now on the switch edges test it's fine again. Could it
possibly be a faulty opto that during gameplay is producing a poor
beam, making the game think I have made an Airraid ramp shot all the
time? If I leave it in switch edges mode and not do anything, the Top
Right Exit switch DOESN'T spontaneously open and close, however. If my
reasoning was true, it would explain a lot, though I'm still not
convinced it's just a faulty opto, as much as I want to believe it is!
the1anton
2009-10-12 13:03:49 UTC
Post by the1anton
Post by Borygard
[...]
FYI, on removing all the switch matrix connectors it tells me to
replace fuses F114 and F115
JD

replace fuses F114 and F115
the1anton
2009-10-12 13:17:29 UTC
Post by JD
That's normal.
-JD-
Post by the1anton
Post by the1anton
Post by Borygard
[...]
Thanks for your advice. I played a game with me fiddling with the
Airraid opto, breaking the beam repetitively with my finger and the
mode would start again and again and restart in the middle of a
current airraid mode. When I kept my finger over the transmitter, the
mode played through to completion without restarting halfway through.
the1anton
2009-10-12 13:24:02 UTC
Post by the1anton
Post by JD
That's normal.
-JD-
Post by the1anton
Post by the1anton
Post by Borygard
[...]
In fact (the saga continues!), I've noticed that the opto receiver is
a little obstructed by the side rail, could it be this simple? I just
started a game again and it keeps entering Airraid (fine, what's new)
but repeatedly restarting every second. Go to switch edges, low and
behold the top ramp exit switch is opening and closing every second.
Not really done enything except look at the side rails.

JD
2009-10-12 13:08:58 UTC
Post by the1anton
Post by Borygard
[...]
If I'm reading what you are saying correctly and chances are, I'm not.
You may possibly have the opto's pinned wrong for the switch matrix. Go
to the switch matrix in the manual and see if the wiring matches up.

On my JD, I didn't know it but the ramp entrance opto was pinned
incorrectly. I guess one thing about JD was that during production, they
changed things on the fly. 1 JD may be different than the one sitting
next to it.

As far as the initial issue, sounds like a bad opto transmitter. These
go bad but I would try cleaning it with some windex first. If not, go to
greatlakesmodular.com and order some extra opto sets. Best price for a
good product.

-JD-