Hakko Cordless Soldering iron
PL
2007-01-08 01:02:52 UTC
Anyone use one of these?

http://tinyurl.com/y43kj5

PL
chuckster
2007-01-08 01:42:12 UTC
After spending $30 on a POS Cold Heat soldering pen, from now on, I
will only buy a soldering iron that has a cord attached to it. This
piece looks nice and has the Hakko name on it but I would wait a while
until it has been "field tested" by some of the "harshest tool critics
on earth" right here on RGP.
Post by PL
Anyone use one of these?
http://tinyurl.com/y43kj5
PL
PL
2007-01-08 02:24:16 UTC
Didn't realize it was just released. Thanks for the info!

PL
Post by chuckster
After spending $30 on a POS Cold Heat soldering pen, from now on, I
will only buy a soldering iron that has a cord attached to it. This
piece looks nice and has the Hakko name on it but I would wait a while
until it has been "field tested" by some of the "harshest tool critics
on earth" right here on RGP.
Post by PL
Anyone use one of these?
http://tinyurl.com/y43kj5
PL
Tony Miklos
2007-01-08 03:39:55 UTC
Post by PL
Anyone use one of these?
http://tinyurl.com/y43kj5
PL
I've never used one but I have used a few Wahl Isotip like here:

http://www.starkelectronic.com/whl7944.htm

They work OK on small joints. Try to solder 3 big wires onto a new
flipper coil and you will have a difficult time getting enough heat.

In case the name looks familiar, yes, it's the same company that makes
hair cutting products. http://www.iso-tip.com/

The Cold Heat soldering pen will work fine on very delicate work. Try
to use it for everyday soldering and it doesn't cut it. Any soldering
tool that heats up and cools down that fast will be very, very low wattage.

If you want a powerful cordless soldering tool, you have to get a butane
powered one. With a good one you will be able to do delicate work
without burning traces off the board, and also be able to turn it up and
have enough heat to solder those 3 wires onto a flipper coil lug.

Still, I prefer ones that plug in. Oh, and Radio Crap sells a half
decent soldering pencil that plugs into the cigar lighter socket of the
car/truck. I forget how many watts it is, but it will do some fairly
heavy soldering.

Tony
Mark Combs
2007-01-08 05:30:41 UTC
I have one and it works OK at best. It eats batteries and does not get
as hot as I would like. Sometimes you have to wait before doing the
next joint because it can be slow to recover. I think I got mine from
Fry's electronics and it was only $20. If you want cordless I would go
with a gas model instead of the battery type.
Post by Tony Miklos
Post by PL
Anyone use one of these?
http://tinyurl.com/y43kj5
2007-01-08 13:05:29 UTC
The best soldering gun I have ever used is one by "Solder It". It is a
refillable gas unit that gets hot very fast. You push one button and
its running and stays running until you shut it off. It gets much
hotter that my plug in Weller unit. Its the shape of a normal
soldering gun so it makes working on the bottom of play fields a
breeze.

Paul G.
dxt178
2007-01-08 14:46:04 UTC
Post by PL
Anyone use one of these?
http://tinyurl.com/y43kj5
PL
Just say no to cordless soldering irons. I know the allure is almost
too much, and I *want* to believe so badly but they just never cut it.
Post by PL
From the pathetic "Cold Heat" "soldering" irons to even nicer attempts
like this one... they just can't get the job done. Your never going to
get the nice precise heat, or prolonged temps, or very much for that
matter. Batteries and capacitors can supply quick bursts but never
solid even heat.

just my 2 credits,

- Dominic
RCProz
2007-01-08 15:20:30 UTC
Your best bet is to get a nice adjustable temp iron. I use the Hakko
adjustable temp iron and it does everything i need.

I offered a special deal for everyone on the group some time ago...i
will still honor that price if anyone is looking for an nice iron. Just
search for Hakko and you should find the post. It's under $100.