TECH: Sorcerer Wms Sys 9 bell
mr. nightshift
2009-06-09 13:43:00 UTC
I am pulling my hair out trying to get the bell working again on my
Sorcerer.

Here are the Symptoms:

-The bell does not work at all during game play (ie when I get an
extra ball).
-In the solenoid test, the bell will give me a single ping on the bell
or sometimes a weak sounding sputter (not hitting the bell)

Here what I have tried:

-If I run a jumper from the ground side of the switch to the ground
braid, the bell rings perfectly. It is loud and strong.
-This lead me to the backbox and onto the board. I though for sure it
was a flakey drive transistor. I changed out the drive transistor
TIP102.

After changing out the transistor I put everything back together, but
when I tested it the problems were the same. No change.

I was thinking the pre-transistor may be flakely, but it there
anything else it could be? Let me know your thoughts on this little
puzzle.
seymour-shabow
2009-06-09 13:48:00 UTC
Post by mr. nightshift
[...]
When you ground the tip 102 does the bell work fine? If not problem in
connection between the tip path and the ground side of the bell. I
always change out the predrivers at the same time I change a driver, so
yes, it could be that.

Also check out the EOS clapper switch, might need cleaning/adjustment.

-scott CARGPB#29
mr. nightshift
2009-06-09 14:33:50 UTC
Thanks,

I'll try that next. I'll ground the top top TIP102 and see if we get
the bell to ring. Like you hinted at, it could be a bad connection
somewhere under the play field or at a pin connection.

If I still have trouble, I'll try the pre-driver transistor as well.

Thanks.

I really don't think it is the clapper EOS since that has been tested
and works fine.
seymour-shabow
2009-06-09 15:03:09 UTC
Post by mr. nightshift
Thanks,
I'll try that next. I'll ground the top top TIP102 and see if we get
the bell to ring. Like you hinted at, it could be a bad connection
somewhere under the play field or at a pin connection.
If I still have trouble, I'll try the pre-driver transistor as well.
Thanks.
I really don't think it is the clapper EOS since that has been tested
and works fine.
Keep in mind that grounding the tab of the tip102 doesn't test the
transistor just the power path to ground.

-scott CARGPB#29
mr. nightshift
2009-06-09 16:20:14 UTC
Thanks. I knew that part. I just replaced that transistor so it
better not be hooped already.

Originally I was going to clip a finishing nail to a gator clip and
stick it into the slot of the molex connector at the board. I like
your idea better. It lets me test all the way to the ground side of
the transistor. I hope that grounding that give me a ringing bell,
that means the problem would have to be somewhere on the board. It
would really help narrow my search area. Thanks again.
dcerny
2009-06-09 17:53:54 UTC
Thanks.  I knew that part.  I just replaced that transistor so it
better not be hooped already.
Originally I was going to clip a finishing nail to a gator clip and
stick it into the slot of the molex connector at the board.  I like
your idea better.  It lets me test all the way to the ground side of
the transistor.  I hope that grounding that give me a ringing bell,
that means the problem would have to be somewhere on the board.  It
would really help narrow my search area.  Thanks again.
This might be a lame or even ignorant suggestion, but have you looked
at the actuating switch by the bell itself? This has worked for me in
the past without having to even consider some of the more advanced
electronics tech work you seem to be doing. The bells on my games also
seemed dead to me not too long ago. I just lightly filed the contact
points, and rebent the switch leaves (leafs?) and like magic, the
bells were ringing. More than anything, it seemed like the two contact
points needed to just be a hair's width closer together. Sometimes the
best solution is the simplest. Forgive me if you've already ruled this
out with your more advanced methods. (I'm still pretty green on the
electronics side of things)

dan c
kbliznick
2009-06-09 18:19:01 UTC
Post by mr. nightshift
-In the solenoid test, the bell will give me a single ping on the bell
or sometimes a weak sounding sputter (not hitting the bell)
This is 100% normal. The solenoid test only pulses the transistor
very quickly. The same thing is seem when testing flashlamps in
system 11 and earlier games where the flashlamp only briefly lights
and sometimes doesn't hit full output. I have had 4 pins with the bell
and all of them did this.
Post by mr. nightshift
-The bell does not work at all during game play (ie when I get an
extra ball).
Check the adjustments settings and verify that the bell is turned on.
I belived you can turn the bell on or off in the adjustment menu.
Also do you have the game on free play? This might disable the bell
as well. I believe Barracora does this when set on freeplay but Black
Knight does not. On a few other titles the knocker is diasabled when
on free play (just a few anyway, most will leave it enabled)

As others stated ground the transitor and this will check the wiring
from the bell to the board.
mr. nightshift
2009-06-09 19:24:35 UTC
I am pissed off! I just pulled the board, replaced the pre-tranistor,
still the same issues. I did some reading in the manual and then I
read the previous post. Are you F-ing kidding me? There is a games
adjustment to turn the bell on and off!

Needless to say, after 5 hours of stupid redundant rework, this has
been fixed with the simplest of solutions. Go to the feature menu and
turn the feature on.

If anyone is reading this post and has bell issues, check you features
first just to make sure the bell is activated. Thanks for everyone's
help. Sorry for wasting your time.
TheKorn
2009-06-09 20:29:01 UTC
Post by mr. nightshift
I am pissed off! I just pulled the board, replaced the pre-tranistor,
still the same issues. I did some reading in the manual and then I
read the previous post. Are you F-ing kidding me? There is a games
adjustment to turn the bell on and off!
Needless to say, after 5 hours of stupid redundant rework, this has
been fixed with the simplest of solutions. Go to the feature menu and
turn the feature on.
If anyone is reading this post and has bell issues, check you features
first just to make sure the bell is activated. Thanks for everyone's
help. Sorry for wasting your time.
(chuckles)

I HATE IT when my machines do exactly what I tell them to do!! :)
--
Have a home video that's trapped on your camera? Want to share it on the
web or on DVD?

http://www.webwidevideo.com/
seymour-shabow
2009-06-09 20:54:59 UTC
Post by mr. nightshift
I am pissed off! I just pulled the board, replaced the pre-tranistor,
still the same issues. I did some reading in the manual and then I
read the previous post. Are you F-ing kidding me? There is a games
adjustment to turn the bell on and off!
Needless to say, after 5 hours of stupid redundant rework, this has
been fixed with the simplest of solutions. Go to the feature menu and
turn the feature on.
If anyone is reading this post and has bell issues, check you features
first just to make sure the bell is activated. Thanks for everyone's
help. Sorry for wasting your time.
Don't worry I bought a whole new $370 Pascal 4 in 1 board for a dip
switch setting ;)

-scott CARGPB#29